Fuel Primer pump

gradytaco

Reaction score
I have a 1996 272 Sailfish with twin 200 Yammies. I purchased for original owner. Have had the boat for 3 years and no issues. He mentioned that he once had to replace the primer pump and recommended that if they give me trouble again to disconnect and remove and install primer bulbs. Has anyone had to deal with this issue.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As suggested by others on this forum I removed my primer pumps and installed primer bulbs made by Yamaha and they work perfectly. Got them from Sim Yamaha. Also freed up a switch on the helm as result.

hinmo

Reaction score
Repowered last year, the rigger recommended bypassing the electric primers and going with bulbs. We did and so far so good.

Fishtales

Reaction score
once you get the fuel there and the engine stared, it should draw it in. bulbs are fine.

gradytaco

Reaction score
Appreciate all the replies. Pulled the pumps out today and they were dirty. Sealed units so could not examine the inside. I had boat out this weekend and could only get 1500 rpms out of both motors. 20 miles out and limped back about 8 mph. I also pulled the fuel/water separator filters. Drained fuel in mason jars and fuel looked clean and no water. I will be installing manual primer bulbs and new filters tomorrow. I don't want to spend time tinkering with the electric primer pumps. I will provide feedback when complete. Thank you.

ltid8732

Reaction score
replaced mine with primer bulbs and no problems, why you are at it if you haven't' I would suggest replacing the fuel line while you are there
make sure the primer bulbs are facing in an upward position and they will keep pressure and use only yamaha bulbs