Fuel Priming Bulbs

Dustydog

Reaction score
I have a 91 25' Sailfish w/ twin 200 Yamaha 2 strokes. While looking into rigging flanges and hoses I've noticed most are made to allow primer bulb for the fuel line. My boat does not have priming bulbs, should it??

ctcbtr

Reaction score
I have the same boat and engines mine has primer bulbs inside right after racor filters, but never use them cause it also has elect. primer pumps

seasick

Reaction score
Although I don't use the primer normally, if the motor is fuel injected, it is helpful after you have drained the VST tank or the motor mounted fuel filter. The VST pump should not be run dry and it turns on as soon as the ignition is turned on, so if the tank were empty, even with electric primers, I beleive the high pressure pump would run dry for a while.
Of course your motor may not be an SX model

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If your motors are also '91 vintage you got carbs. I would think those ole girls are tough to start without priming. Also, easier on the LP fuel pump diaphrams. Advise what motors you have for more accurate answers.

Dustydog

Reaction score
It does have the carbuerated Yamaha 200's with electric fuel pumps. When cold it does take several several revolutions to fire. With the electric fuel pumps I'm never certain how long to prime before cranking. Can you prime too much and flood the carbuerators?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I removed the electric primers on my '91 and installed bulbs before the filters. The bulbs are much better at pushing than sucking, having them before the filters makes priming new filters much easier.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grog said:
I removed the electric primers on my '91 and installed bulbs before the filters. The bulbs are much better at pushing than sucking, having them before the filters makes priming new filters much easier.
Hmmm. I removed the pumps and put the bulbs after FMS & filters. Makes sense Grog, how come everything your read says put them after the filters? I would like being able to prime the filters instead of carrying a can of fuel down to the boat.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had them after the filters originally but priming the system after a filter change was a PIA. The fuel had to be sucked through the filter and the only suction is from the walls of the bulb, the higher the restriction the slower the prime. If the bulb is before the filter you're pushing the fuel through the filter, much easier and faster.

Another bonus is the vacuum the bulb sees is less than it would be after the filter and less chance of collapsing.