Fuel Problem

sraab928

Reaction score
Well I have been having some running issues with the Dolphin. When I bought her last year I had the tanks pumped dry, carbs rebuilt and new filters put in - Now the starboard engine is sneezing again and pulsating at speed - Not alot of hours - maybe 10-15 hours since the work - I called the shop and he told me to pull the filters and pour into a glass jar - I did and oh boy I didnt like it - One filter was clean - the other was a mess.
0619081718.jpg

I found it odd that one filter was good and one was bad considering they were being fed by the same tank - I was worried that the lines were crossed so I pulled the floor and tracked the lines - They are just the way they are supposed to be - so that doesn't answer why one is clean and one is well a mess.
0619081808.jpg

I put new filters on this evening and ran around the lagoon for about 10 minutes - I will pull them again in the morning and see what I have.

Im kind of at a loss here. Any input would be helpful.

I also have a thread on this running on my local fishing site - Just wanted to disclose that information. Here is a link

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showth ... p?t=143962

Thanks!

sraab928

Reaction score
pulled the filters this morning - the one on the left is the bad from yesterday - the two on the right were pulled this morning - only run off the main tank -

0620080810.jpg

I will put back in and run off the aux tank and see what happens -

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You may have taken on a contaminated load from the station.

You may want to have it pumped again, or pump it out yourself into containers. tilt the bow up to get the most out.

Check the vent line connection & hull fitting to be sure no water is getting in there, as well as the o rings on the fill caps and deck plates. Check the gasket on the fuel level senders.

sraab928

Reaction score
Thanks Bob - Sorry I hadn't updated this thread - didn't think anyone had noticed.

I had a bad aux tank fuel fill cap oring - I pumped out about 7 gallons of water/phase separated fuel. Have since had the boat out for two separate multiple hour runs, dumped the filters and all is well.

Thanks!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just dont mix up your pitchers.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's good, you can't expect the filters to save the engine's powerhead from destruction with crap like this. You are lucky the engines survived.
The powerhead just goes when it does, don't make a fuss on the way out, then it's open wallet day at the dealer/mechanic's shop.

Your wallet.