Fuel related

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals:

1992 Gulfstream 232. Don't know much about the operation of this particular boat as after I bought it, I took it to the marina for some work.

I notice a couple things. This is my first boat with two gas tanks. It looks like there is a fuel valve inside the stern area. Sounds obvious, but I suppose I keep it on "main" until I need the auxiliary tank? Never had to deal with a valve before, always had one tank.

Also, on the dash, there are switches that look to "prime" the engines? My other outboards I just pushed in the key for 10 seconds and turned the key, but these switches appear to be the priming source for the fuel rather than having the fuel bulbs back by the engines? Any advice on those switches and when I should need them?

Thanks ,

John

gw204

Reaction score
Those switches run the electric primer pumps that take the place of standard primer bulbs. I used to run then for just a few seconds (if you listen closely the pumps tone will change), then hit the keys. It's a different animal than the old "push to choke" system on carburated motors. If you still have carbs, you probably need to do both. Prime the pumps first, then choke.

SouthPass

Reaction score
I have a 93 Gulf Stream with twin Evinrudes and two fuel tanks. The valves in the stern, port side control my tanks.
Valves pointing forward pulls fuel from the main tank, about 98 gallons. Turn arrow of valves pointing toward the stern and they will pull from the Aux tank about 90 gallons. My boat rides better with aux tank full. Really can tell
a difference when light on fuel. The primer pump switch on dash replaces bulb...I can crank without much use of these. When the boat has been sitting a while I will use these. You can hear them and the pitch does change after a short run less than a minute. 8)