Fuel Sender Question

VCinRI

Reaction score
My fuel gauge on my 27 Sailfish will read either 3/4 or one flashing bar (empty).

I checked all the grounds and they appear to be fine. I took the sender out and manually worked the float in the tube, no change on the gauge.

I put a volt meter on the sending wire and got no change when I moved the float, I did however, get and some jumps in voltage when I tapped the sender.

Would it be safe to say the sender is bad? Any other way to know for sure?

Thanks,
VC

okletsfish

Reaction score
I never have trusted those things,if fact I once ran out of fuel due to a faulty one.Get yourself a floscan or a similar unit,that way you will always know how much fuel is in the tank along with what you are burning per hourYou will be able to trim your engine and trim tabs to get the most out of your fuel.

catch22

Reaction score
VCinRI said:
My fuel gauge on my 27 Sailfish will read either 3/4 or one flashing bar (empty).

I checked all the grounds and they appear to be fine. I took the sender out and manually worked the float in the tube, no change on the gauge.

I put a volt meter on the sending wire and got no change when I moved the float, I did however, get and some jumps in voltage when I tapped the sender.

Would it be safe to say the sender is bad? Any other way to know for sure?

Thanks,
VC

Sounds like the sender is bad.
When you say you connected a volt meter... I take it you mean you had it set to "ohms', right? Typicaly senders have a range from 0 to less than 100 ohms. You should see the resistance, (ohms) vary at a proportianal rate throughout the travel of the float.
Is it a long metal tube? I have seen these go bad.
I would contact grady customer service. Depending on the year of your boat, they may simply send you a replacement, (big maybe, lol). If not, you may have to purchase one through a dealer.
They also had, sort of a recall, for the sending unit gaskets. I think it had something to do with the rubber not being compatible with ethonal fuel. So, again, I would contact them.

nightfighter

Reaction score
Good topic.
I have a 1993 Escape with Yamaha 200. All Yamaha dash. I don't trust the gauge either. I will attempt to contact Grady, but let me know what you guys hear as well.
Does anyone from Grady ever respond here????
What does a Floscan go for?

Seahunter

Reaction score
Typicaly senders have a range from 0 to less than 100 ohms. You should see the resistance, (ohms) vary at a proportianal rate throughout the travel of the float.

The sender should read 240-30 ohms

VCinRI

Reaction score
As it turned out the sender was bad.

No reading on the meter at all with the float in any position.

We ended up bypassing the sender and the gauge responded.

For $56.00 the replacement is on the way.

Thanks for the help.

VC

BSartist

Reaction score
Website
bsartist.com
Which sender did you end up ordering?

I have a 1993 Adventure 20 and I am not sure if I need to order a specific one. I pulled the one that's in there and it is a long white tube about an inch in diameter and the float inside it is stuck.

Bill

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
BSartist, I had the same problem on my 94 208 a few months ago. On mine there are 2 very small magnets glued to the float and the glue had failed, allowing 1 of the magnets to move out of place and bind up the float. I reglued them with a drop of SEAL ALL glue and another drop for the cap at the end of the tube and so far it has worked good as new.

BSartist

Reaction score
Website
bsartist.com
Coming unglued?

Hey thanx for the reply. I didn't see anything like that in my case. It really looks like the tube deformed although I can't see how that would suddenly happen. Anyhow, I've ordered a new sender so hopefully that will put this to bed.