fuel sender

lastresort

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to this site and so far there seems to be a lot of good things on here. Question, I have a 1990 trophy pro. I removed the decks above the gas tank and went to replace the fuel sender in the auxillary tank. When I placed the new one in place, I am not able to get 3 out of the 5 screws to tighten up and press the seal firmly. Is this a problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
lastresort said:
Hey guys, I am new to this site and so far there seems to be a lot of good things on here. Question, I have a 1990 trophy pro. I removed the decks above the gas tank and went to replace the fuel sender in the auxillary tank. When I placed the new one in place, I am not able to get 3 out of the 5 screws to tighten up and press the seal firmly. Is this a problem? Any advice would be appreciated.
Are the holes stripped.? If you can't seat the flange, you will leak fuel. Don't overtighten either.
If the screws holes are stripped, you will have to retap for larger screws. Is the flange metal?

JeffN

Reaction score
Lastresort I can't help you with your question but I have to do some work on my fuel sender this winter. How hard was it to remove the screws?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The screws should be snug not tight. The gaskets are thick and need to seal. Tighten the screws too much and it will distort the gasket. I just replaced my senders with Wema's. Great equipment and really inexpensive.

lastresort

Reaction score
JeffN said:
Lastresort I can't help you with your question but I have to do some work on my fuel sender this winter. How hard was it to remove the screws?

The screws were not difficult to remove at all....

lastresort

Reaction score
seasick said:
lastresort said:
Are the holes stripped.? If you can't seat the flange, you will leak fuel. Don't overtighten either.
If the screws holes are stripped, you will have to retap for larger screws. Is the flange metal?

Seasick, two screws pushed the rubber seal down so its tight (the screw tightened up). The other 3 did not tighten nor did they "catch" if you will. The top of the fuel sender is obviously metal the beneath it is the rubber seal.

seasick

Reaction score
lastresort said:
seasick said:
lastresort said:

Seasick, two screws pushed the rubber seal down so its tight (the screw tightened up). The other 3 did not tighten nor did they "catch" if you will. The top of the fuel sender is obviously metal the beneath it is the rubber seal.

Look at the screws that didn't tighten to see if the threads near the head are stripped, worn or corroded. If so they need to be replaced.
I was asking about the flange on the tank: Is it metal or plastic. The screw holes may be corroded out. You can try either to retap for a larger screw or if space allows, mount the sender with bolts and nuts/lock washers.

Grady Again

Reaction score
Make sure holes in gasket and flange are properly lined up to tank holes. Mine were not evenly spaced and only a couple would align until I figered it out. :bang

seasick

Reaction score
Grady Again said:
Make sure holes in gasket and flange are properly lined up to tank holes. Mine were not evenly spaced and only a couple would align until I figered it out. :bang
Good point. The holes are not symetrical and the gasket fits one way only.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Update??

I wouldn't sweat this much. I just replaced my sending units and the gauges are way too conservative. Really need the FMS.

lastresort

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you guys know that I retapped the three holes and now everything fits nicely....