Fuel sending unit 93 209 Escape

scruitt

Reaction score
I need some help !!! I have to replace my Fuel sender ... The screws are super tight due to i'ts age. any tricks to loosen them up to get the unit out. The last thing I want to do is snap them off

seasick

Reaction score
Try spraying with a penetrant like Liquid Wrench and let sit. Repeat and let sit. Sometimes it also helps to try to tighten the screws a little bit to break the seal.
It is not uncommon to break bolts so go easy but at some point you are going to have to go for it.
When reinstalling, don't overtighten.

scruitt

Reaction score
Thanks I will give that a shot , In the event that I do snap off a screw or two . Is drilling on a fuel tank safe ? common sense tells me no ...

Gbruno

Reaction score
Im about to change mine out today as well (86 sailfish 25) I was able to get the screws to turn. Are you planning on using any type of gasket seal? If so what type? thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Gbruno said:
Im about to change mine out today as well (86 sailfish 25) I was able to get the screws to turn. Are you planning on using any type of gasket seal? If so what type? thanks

If the flange is smooth, flat and clean, a sealant isn't usually needed. If you have a leak issue, you need to get a sealant specifically 'approved' for gasoline. You can find them at an auto parts store.
Note my comments about not over tightening the screws. If you tighten too much, you may distort the flange

ray leonard

Reaction score
i gently used a pick to clean screw heads to get a good bite on screw head n they all turned on a 21 yr old tank.u dont want to rush this job,take ur time with a lubed good fit ull be fine

Gbruno

Reaction score
When I was filling the tank about a month ago, I must have overfilled it. Heard a big pop. I think the tank expanded and the fuel sender began leaking. When I pulled out the screws they felt wrong (cross threaded?). Sure enough three of the five new screws dont fit well into the exisitng screw holes. Tried other screws but none worked. I could screw them in half way but then felt the resistance. I think the 3 screw holes got ruined (streched) when the tank popped. Im keeping the tank filled about 3/4 an the new sender is not leaking, but I need to address this. Any suggesstions appreciated.

scruitt

Reaction score
I just finished the job today man what a challenge !!!!! I soaked all the screws several times in liqued wrench several times 4 out of the 5. Came free the other I cut the head off and used the existing threads to put a locking nut on it , try taping the threads with a 10-24 bit use new stainless screws to fasten it down make sure the surface is clean and tighten the screws in a star pattern you can get a new gasket at Wema USA .... Hope that helps P S the standard threads for sending units are 10-24

seasick

Reaction score
Gbruno said:
When I was filling the tank about a month ago, I must have overfilled it. Heard a big pop. I think the tank expanded and the fuel sender began leaking. When I pulled out the screws they felt wrong (cross threaded?). Sure enough three of the five new screws dont fit well into the exisitng screw holes. Tried other screws but none worked. I could screw them in half way but then felt the resistance. I think the 3 screw holes got ruined (streched) when the tank popped. Im keeping the tank filled about 3/4 an the new sender is not leaking, but I need to address this. Any suggesstions appreciated.

You couldn't have overfilled the tank. I don't know what the popping was but that doesn't sound good to me.

Some thing shifted, I suspect. The sender screw hols also would not have stretched.
Most likely when removing the screws, you stripped the holes. You can drill for bigger scresw but you will also have to tap the holes.
If the new screws or existing screws are too long, they will bottom and you might feel that resistance you described.