Fuel sending unit... easy or can of worms

Noble Savage

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
My 1997 tournament 192 needs a new fuel sending unit. Obviously it’s just a few bolts and couple of wires. But I’m wondering if everything goes back together ok, or does it crumble in your hands. It’s the original fuel tank. Anyone replaced one of these. ThanksB9E997A1-F2E2-494D-9BCC-2B40C4905D6F.jpegB9E997A1-F2E2-494D-9BCC-2B40C4905D6F.jpeg

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Mine was easy. Took the old one out, measured it’s length, ordered a replacement from Wema USA and installed it. The whole process took about 10 minutes. Just make sure your fuel tank is not completely full, otherwise if the boat is bow high on the trailer, you could have fuel come out the sending unit hole.

Noble Savage

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Ok thanks. I really appreciate it. It seems simple but boat projects can easily get complicated. Thanks again

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tip - Before you remove the old sender - get a marker and draw a line from the screw hole closest to where the electrical wire emerges from the sender to the top of the fuel tank.
When you go to install the new one make sure you line up the screw holes exactly the way the old one was installed. The screw holes on the sender are not symmetrical and it can be tough to get holes
lined up a. Doing it this way keeps a simple project simple.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Take your time and take pictures during the disassembly process to aid in the replacement process. As they say, a picture is a thousand words.

Noble Savage

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Exactly the sort of info I need. Thanks. No more guessing how much fuel we’ve got

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you pull the sender and your flange looks like this, you have a problem. Chances to get it to seal are doubtful and you risk fuel leaks. Just be mindful of your sealing surface also. Changing a fuel sender is very easy. 20181105_165525.jpg

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Tip - Before you remove the old sender - get a marker and draw a line from the screw hole closest to where the electrical wire emerges from the sender to the top of the fuel tank.
When you go to install the new one make sure you line up the screw holes exactly the way the old one was installed. The screw holes on the sender are not symmetrical and it can be tough to get holes
lined up a. Doing it this way keeps a simple project simple.

I was going to post similar advice, but Legend already put it up. Those screw holes LOOK like they are all equivalent, but they are not. The one time that I forgot to do this, I ended up losing a screw by fooling around and this usually simple job took over an hour.