Fuel Smell

DRNO13

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just purchaser a 2008 226 Seafarer. After the test drive and during my first 2 trips out I now smell a fuel smell on the right side of the boat while in the captains seat while I'm underway even at 40 miles an hour. The bilge had a small amount of moisture that smelled like fuel. Any ideas?

seasick

Reaction score
Did you fill the tank at any time prior to the trips?
Did the boat smaell og gas when you first boarded or only after running for a while?
Did you smell for gas fumes in the bilge before you started the motor?
Have you pulled the deck plates over the tank and looked for seepage or gas odors?
Was the helm covered when the boat sat?
What side is the fill on? Have you sniffed up close to the gas fill?
Did you smell for fumes in the cabin?

During the test drive did you mention that you smell gas fumes? If so, was the seller on the boat?
If so, did you ask the seller about the smell?
If so, did the seller make a comment?
Was anyone else on the test run who was witness to any seller statements?

The question about filling the tank is important since filling the tank could contribute to leaks, not only in the tank, but seepage in the fuel hose or vent hose.
Smelling gas fumes at 40 MPH is unusual and can indicate that there are gas fumes in the forward bilge. The forward bilge by its nature often does not drain completely aft unless the bow is angled up at a steeper angle than the hull normally sits.
Of course, you could have a leaky tank. That can be a pretty big job to check.

What I would do is not fill the tank more than half way for now. I would mix up some boat soap and water and rinse/flush the bilges. Leave the deck plates off ( assuming dry weather) for a day or more after flushing the bilge to see if you smell gas both before going out and after.
It is important to try to determine if the odor is worse on full tanks as opposed to partially filled tanks. Based on what you find, we can make addition suggestions.

Be careful. Gas fumes in the bilge are dangerous.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Plug either the vent and fuel pickup (either at tank or at hose end). Use a short hose off one of those tanks barbs and clamp an air line fitting into it or barb down to a simple schrader valve. Put a couple PSI into and look/listen for a leak.

If your fuel fill deck plate is a combo vent/fill, you'll need to plug the fill as well.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For what it's worth a few years back I notices some fuel smell when I pulled my Aux tank deck plate. The cause was a deteriorated sender gasket - replacing the gasket fixed it. I make a habit of checking those periodically now.

DRNO13

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Did you fill the tank at any time prior to the trips? Yes. But only to about 3/4
Did the boat smell of gas when you first boarded or only after running for a while? Only after running for a while
Did you smell for gas fumes in the bilge before you started the motor? Yes on the second trip and did not smell any fumes
Have you pulled the deck plates over the tank and looked for seepage or gas odors? I have only pulled the 4 inch round covers and looked for signs of fuel and found no signs. before running but found a little moisture after.
Was the helm covered when the boat sat? No
What side is the fill on? Have you sniffed up close to the gas fill? Right side and I don't smell additional fumes from around the cap area.
Did you smell for fumes in the cabin? NO fumes in the Cabin

During the test drive did you mention that you smell gas fumes? Yes I mentioned it to the previous owner. It was a windy day and the canvas was all on the boat and we did not run to fast because of the chop. If so, was the seller on the boat? Yes
If so, did you ask the seller about the smell? Yes
If so, did the seller make a comment? His answer was that some times at slower speeds with the canvas on the fuel smell sits in the driver area.
Was anyone else on the test run who was witness to any seller statements? Yes My Wife.

The question about filling the tank is important since filling the tank could contribute to leaks, not only in the tank, but seepage in the fuel hose or vent hose.
Smelling gas fumes at 40 MPH is unusual and can indicate that there are gas fumes in the forward bilge. The forward bilge by its nature often does not drain completely aft unless the bow is angled up at a steeper angle than the hull normally sits.
Of course, you could have a leaky tank. That can be a pretty big job to check.

What I would do is not fill the tank more than half way for now. I would mix up some boat soap and water and rinse/flush the bilges. I will flush the bilges later today. Leave the deck plates off ( assuming dry weather) for a day or more after flushing the bilge to see if you smell gas both before going out and after. Will do
It is important to try to determine if the odor is worse on full tanks as opposed to partially filled tanks. Based on what you find, we can make addition suggestions.

Be careful. Gas fumes in the bilge are dangerous. OK

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Similar smells on my new to me 2008 Gulfstream. Was a deteriorated fuel fill hose that would leak while filling and smell without any hint of gas in the tank compartment / bilge. Replaced the fill hose (and vent hose since it was routed right besides it) and no more smell at all. If you end up replacing fill hose there are some good posts here with some tips & tricks. The most valuable of those was to use a short dowel the size of the ID of the hose (I carved down a 2x2 on the corners) to join the old and new hoses screwing into the dowel through the ends of the hoses. Then you are able to pull the new hose through the twists, turns, and ports through the stringer much easier. Double clamp everything with new, quality clamps.

Reactions: PointedRose

seasick

Reaction score
Similar smells on my new to me 2008 Gulfstream. Was a deteriorated fuel fill hose that would leak while filling and smell without any hint of gas in the tank compartment / bilge. Replaced the fill hose (and vent hose since it was routed right besides it) and no more smell at all. If you end up replacing fill hose there are some good posts here with some tips & tricks. The most valuable of those was to use a short dowel the size of the ID of the hose (I carved down a 2x2 on the corners) to join the old and new hoses screwing into the dowel through the ends of the hoses. Then you are able to pull the new hose through the twists, turns, and ports through the stringer much easier. Double clamp everything with new, quality clamps.
Your suggestion is very possible but explains why you might smell gas after a gas up but not exactly why you would mot smell gas at first but only after a decent run. It is possible that when at speed more outside air manages to get into the bilge and that moves pushes out any existing fumes ( from leaks, hose seepage) etc. Note that gas fumes can permeate the fill and vent hoses but not leak liquid fuel)

If the odor is less when only filling to say half way but stronger when tank is fuller, my first thought wood be a leaky sender. That would be obvious after a run, simply by wiping the sender are with a rag and smelling the rag. Clean the sender area before doing this test so that whatever you smell later is new.

Reactions: OceanSun

nightfighter

Reaction score
1993 GW Escape. Last season I smelled fuel and knew it was only a matter of time before I had to replace the fuel tank. Had to remove console and cut out deck... All back together for this season though. And now I am wanting more waterline and a top to hide from the sun.

Attachments

• 69151708455__6158549B-1551-43C4-A614-97CFFF1A0EE6 (2).jpg
    69151708455__6158549B-1551-43C4-A614-97CFFF1A0EE6 (2).jpg
    785 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1665 (2).jpg
    IMG_1665 (2).jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 35