Fuel system in a 1987 232 gulfstream.

Hall N Ass

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I own a 282 sailfish and know it in and out. My good friend bought a 1987 gulfstream with twins. He asked me to go over the systems with him amd we got to taking the floor up and I noticed that there are 3 fuel tanks. There are 2 fills on the starboard side and 1 fill on the stern. There are only switching valves for the main and auxiliary tanks. Can anyone explain how this 3 tank system works.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Don’t know the boat, but on my 330 the one on the Stern is for the generator and mine happens to be diesel. His may be gas.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Could the third tank be for a water tank?

If it's definitely a fuel tank... it sounds like something a previous owner may have installed? Could a genny even fit in a Gulfstream? How about a third tank being added for a kicker motor?

Follow the pickup line... where does it go?

Got some pics?

seasick

Reaction score
That year Gulfstream had two gas tanks, one about 94 gal and one about 54 gallons or there about.
I have no idea what the third tank is for, As mentioned, follow the plumbing.

Hall N Ass

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Could the third tank be for a water tank?

If it's definitely a fuel tank... it sounds like something a previous owner may have installed? Could a genny even fit in a Gulfstream? How about a third tank being added for a kicker motor?

Follow the pickup line... where does it go?

Got some pics?
Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking that where the tank is it was probably the space that the oil tanks went when there was 2 strokes on it. Im thinking the previous owner repowered with four strokes and added another tank in their place. The third tank is tied into the main tank.