Fuel tank alteration

Hazel’s captain

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was looking for 250hp, wasn't real concerned on brand. While comparing, I found a used Suzuki 250 at a fair price; love Yamaha-just didn't or couldn't find a used one at the time. Oh, and $'s spent was a big issue, seemed sort of harsh to install a 2021 engine on a 27 year old boat. Also, there is a huge problem finding anyone with stock or willing to take my trade, I found my old engine was a little hard to get rid of. All that being said, the dealer's help is what led me down this path.
I have the trade in problem as well. I can always count on my 225 salt series II it is a great engine @ 1000 hrs but I am older and in the bush so I am hoping this will relieve my wife’s worries.
Finding that dealer is a problem, not like the old days!

Pescadote

Reaction score
I'm following this thread with interest in regards to my '96 228. I pulled off the hatch covers today and did not see corrosion on the top, nor could I smell any gas. Don't know if I will get to it this winter but it is something I believe I will need to keep an eye on.

I do not have an auxiliary tank in the front, and could also see taking out the old tank, moving the placement forward, and replacing with a larger tank for all the reasons above. I just wonder about cutting out the bulkhead; it's not structural????

seasick

Reaction score
Old or newer, you should still routinely inspect the tank and bilge as best you can. On an older hull, where age of the tank is a concern, I would definitely consider tank replacement if I were doing extensive restoration but not just for the heck of it and I didn't suspect any issues based on the nose and eye inspections.
I would also be careful about moving the tank or changing it's size if right not you feel that the hull is well balanced and handles well with a full tank or a partially filled one. Relocating or increasing the length of the tank may affect handling.
I know you don't have an aux tank but when there is one, it can act as an adjustable ballast to compensate for loads and resulting handling characteristics.
Some hulls when the main tank is partially filled, say 1/4 to 1/2 tank, may have better handling if some gas is added to the aux tank. I know a chap with an Marlin that found that approach to be beneficial for handling. Every now and then he runs off the aux to burn up gas and then refills. That keeps things fresh.