Fuel Tank Cleaning company on Long Island????

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 200 Gulfstream that has been sitting since Superstorm Sandy. I would like to get rid of the old gas and have the tanks cleaned. Both Main and Aux tanks. I have about 20 gallons in the main and maybe a little less than that in the AUX. Has anyone ever done this before or had someone else do it? Something I can do myself or should I hire a company to do it? Cost? Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There are "fuel polishing" services readily available, but that is for diesel fuel. Given that gasoline is a "volatile" fluid, I think it might be harder to find someone that can dispose of it.

However, if it was me... just siphon it out (don't use anything electrical unless it's SPECIFICALLY rated for gasoline!!!). You can siphon it into a clean garbage can, add a very healthy dose of something like Startron and then put a few gallons at a time into your cars. Draw from the top of the garbage can. Add a simple inline filter in the hose that you will use to transfer it from the garbage can to your car.

Don't worry about getting every last drop out of your tanks. Refill with fresh gas, add the Startron, keep a couple extra water/fuel separating filters on board.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste you're time having them cleaned. Get them as empty as possible and add a decent amount of new clean fuel and an additive if you wish. Like mentioned above maybe keep a few extra filters with you amd change them twice as often the first season you use the boat again.

You can buy one of those hand pumps to get the siphon going.

eppem

Reaction score
Agree 100 percent - do it yourself! Make a siphon with a primer bulb, some hose and copper tubing. Pop the senders and run your hose and tube down to the bottom of the tank and aft. Any sediment will work its way down and aft (if the boat is blocked correctly). Siphon out the junk and then add fresh fuel.

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
Thanks!! I'll look into some siphons and pumps... Getting my spring checklist ready. Little chilly out to get anything done..

eppem

Reaction score
Just make sure its a hand pump! An old primer bulb and simple clear tubing from any hardware store will work, a stiff copper tube and a few hoseclamps and you are good to go!

georgemjr

Reaction score
Don't waste your time opening up the senders and using a copper tube. Just take the fuel line off right after the bulb, before it goes to the engine. That will drain the tank from the pick up. Whatever the pick up can't get out will be minimal enough that filling with fresh gas will do the trick. As long as the fuel you remove has not phase separated, you will be fine. If it has phase separated then I would recommend making sure you get every last ounce out.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
georgemjr said:
Don't waste your time opening up the senders and using a copper tube. Just take the fuel line off right after the bulb, before it goes to the engine. That will drain the tank from the pick up. Whatever the pick up can't get out will be minimal enough that filling with fresh gas will do the trick. As long as the fuel you remove has not phase separated, you will be fine. If it has phase separated then I would recommend making sure you get every last ounce out.

Have you ever attempted this with a fuel tank that has an anti-siphon valve? Darn near impossible -- extremely slow and tiring at the least since you have to physically pump every ounce.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I have tried it. Those lines feed a 30 gallon per hour burn rate from the Yamaha 250s they are connected to. I removed the line, attached a holley fuel pump with battery clips and fed all my friends fuel during super storm Sandy. 350 gallons worth.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah... Holley fuel pump... The missing piece to the puzzle. Well, sure, if you're going to "cheat"! From your first post, it sounded like you were doing it with no extra help.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I drained both tanks on my 272 Sailfish when I purchased the boat. If your interest is completely clean tanks free of residual water you must remove the sender. By removing the sender and using a hand siphon pump you can get the liquid at the rear tank line which is water. My sailfish most likely had never been cleaned. When I removed the sender and pumped with the method above, at least a gallon and one half of water/fuel mix was removed. The boat was a 1998. This would have never been removed with any other method.

Remove the sender and pump the tank COMPLETELY dry. You will be happy that you did.

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Ah... Holley fuel pump... The missing piece to the puzzle. Well, sure, if you're going to "cheat"! From your first post, it sounded like you were doing it with no extra help.

Sounds a lot better to me... I sucked out about 10 gallons using the bulb method after Sandy to use in my generator. Took me about a hour to squeeze out 10 gallons. Any particular Holley pump I should get??? Anyone have a Model # or Part #?? Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Although... If you just unscrew/remove the anti-siphon valve from your tank, then there is no restriction and it's easy to siphon. $0.

But I'd like to hear what pump was used, to!

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Your local auto parts store should have some type of electronic lift pump that will work just fine. Can't see it being more than 30-40$. I still say remove the sender, get something to the very bottom and get a siphon going. Cheap, easy, and safe.

Pickup tubes are close to an inch or so off the bottom of the tank, you won't be able to get it all this way. Especially if your boat is on a trailer and not angled with the bow up and transom down since the pickup is located on the back of the tank (usually). Yes you can get most of it, then dilute with fresh gas. But why not just do it the right way, it's not any more difficult. Then you will have piece of mind your starting with a clean tank and clean fuel.