Fuel Tank Dimensions?

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
I have an 89 190 Tournament with the original 62 Gallon tank. I started to smell the gas in the ski locker and around and I assume it will be fuel tank replacement time. There hasn't been any in the bilge but I imagine when I open up the deck up there will be corrosion on the top of the tank so better to replace regardless. My boat is in storage. I have used the search but I have not been able to located the dimensions of the tank? Does anyone have it by chance? I see through using the search there are several fabricators in the USA that build the exact same tank. I am in Canada and have less options. Has anyone used a Moeller V belly tank as a replacement? I use the boat on inland lakes so I don't necessarily need a 60 gallon sized tank, I can go smaller.
I am looking at something like this : http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...tel&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=27876#.UUS-DluzxBo
Thanks.

leafybug

Reaction score
Depending where you are located in Canada, I just had to replace the tanks on my sailfish last year and there is a guy in SE Michigan that builds them and I would highly recommend. May be worth the drive to him? Company name is Kehrig Manufacturing, Utica, MI. Good luck...

Jeff_R

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Action,

Before buying a new tank have yours pressure tested. The smell could be coming from a couple sources. I would start looking at your fittings and if you still have the original fuel lines, replace them. The fuel lines from 1989 I do not believe were rated for the fuels of today with higher alcohol contents. Today's fuels will eat away at your lines and fuel can just weep out of them.

Leafybug,
I live in SouthEast Michigan and have been looking for a local source for Marine Fuel Tank Fabrication. Do you remember what your guy charges per gallon to build a tank?

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
Jeff_R said:
Action, Before buying a new tank have yours pressure tested. The smell could be coming from a couple sources. I would start looking at your fittings and if you still have the original fuel lines, replace them. The fuel lines from 1989 I do not believe were rated for the fuels of today with higher alcohol contents. Today's fuels will eat away at your lines and fuel can just weep out of them.

You are probably right. The boat sat in a dry covered space for near 15 years. I am having the marina that is storing it to have an early peak and check out the fuel line, filler, vent line and condition of the tank to see if I need to have one made for May (when the ice is out). I am going to replace all the lines regardless this year at the very min. Luckily I did email Grady White and they sent me an exact spec sheet of the tank and it's dimensions.