fuel tank draining and cleaning

snooky1

Reaction score
Hey guys i just drained the tank on my 209 escape all 80 gallons what a pain in the you know what. i got all out but there is a little left in the corners tilted the boat back still some. Does anybody know if there is any danger in sucking the rest out with my wet dry vac. also my sender is shot where can i get the sender for this boat.

richie rich

Reaction score
A wet dry vac is not rated for flammable solvents....good way to get an explosion as you'll create a nice plume of vapor right next to an ignition source........I used an old squeeze bulb with copper tube and rubber hose to get in the corners....its manual, but does the job....just make sure, regardless of what you use to ground yourself and the tool before entering the fuel tank to dissipate any static charge....this is the most dangerous time/part of cleaning out a tank as its almost all vapor which is not just flammable, but explosive at this point.

seasick

Reaction score
snooky1 said:
Hey guys i just drained the tank on my 209 escape all 80 gallons what a pain in the you know what. i got all out but there is a little left in the corners tilted the boat back still some. Does anybody know if there is any danger in sucking the rest out with my wet dry vac. also my sender is shot where can i get the sender for this boat.

Make sure your life insurance is paid up..
Honestly, the fumes will explode using a that vac.

use the bulb as mentioned or purchase a pump approved for gasoline.

LI Grady

Reaction score
Call me paranoid but I wouldn't even go with the copper...I'd try and adapt and use one of the plastic hand bilge pumps that they sell.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You aren't going to get copper to spark, I don't see any problem using it. BUT be sure there is no static discharge.

richie rich

Reaction score
correct, the copper is conductive and won't build up a charge....ground it and yourself before entering the tank and you're all set. A plastic tube can build up a surface charge and then easily let it go...bad news.....that's why in manufacturing where we use flammable solvents, the workers shoes are static dissapating/conductive and the tools they use are beryllium copper, not steel, not plastic. Plastic won't conduct a charge, but just like the carpet in your house, it will build a charge on its surface, like a capacitor, (you electricians correct me if I chose the wrong terminology)and then let it go when you least expect it. Its the possible rubbing against something that can create a surface charge situation.