Fuel Tank Draining

rml2112

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Seafarer, I need to drain the main tank, I Pulled the fuel line at the inlet of the motor filter and collected about a gallon of real nasty looking fuel, about 1/3 was water the rest I wouldn't burn in my lawnmower.
Any easy ideas to pump out the tanks about 45 gallons..

thanks

richie rich

Reaction score
The best way if you are going to use your fuel in the lawnmower is to use the squeeze bulb and hand pump it into gas cans. It takes about 15 minutes per 5 gallon can and will filter your fuel. But its time consuming for sure. Be careful about using it in the lawnmower if its that bad....I did and ended up rebuilding the carbuerator and cleaning the mower tank.

The fastest way is to use a hose and stick it into the tank right to the bottom and gravity siphon it out....much faster and less work.....use a clear hose to see whats going on....I was able to run the hose right down the pick up tube which held it vertcal and close to the botom

Offshore24

Reaction score
I too siphoned it the way richie suggested. I had a 20 gallon drum I got from a local race track. I used the fuel in the mower AND the F150. The F150 didn't miss a beat. :)

dadsgirl

Reaction score
When we bought our 1988 Seafarer some years back it had stale fuel from sitting around a couple years. I bought a cheap automotive electric fuel pump, attached two hoses to it, removed the fuel tank float assembly, and drained the tank from there. I was able to reach all the corners of the tank that way and have not had any fuel related problems to date.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Find out where the water is getting in, check the cap, replace the O ring, clean both sides of the o ring groove before hand.

rml2112

Reaction score
I believe the boat sat for a couple of years in a slip, with very little use.
I was able to remove the main tank sender and siphon most of the fuel out.
The Aux tank I pump through the primer bulb, I changed the racor filters
put some fresh gas. I must have drained about 2 1/2 gallons of water from both tanks. I finally got the boat wet last weekend burned almost 1/2 from the aux tank with no issues.

Bob