fuel tank for 1989 228G

thrillseekers

Reaction score
All,

I just bought a 1989 228G with only the secondary (45 gal) fuel tank. I plan on installing a primary (60 gal+) tank where my primary used to be. Does anybody know where I can get the measurements of the tanks that were stock on my 228G in 1989?

Thanks and Regards, Mack

qdiver

Reaction score
Hey Mac,
Welcome to Grady ownership,
I have the same Grady but a 1993, my main tank is 91 gallons and it's 62"L X 23"W X 14.5" deep I don't have the secondary tank but if it's original in your boat it should be a 56 gallon unit.
You can go on the Grady White site, they have the original catalogs for most years in PDF format. I recommend you download the one that apply s for your year. Great info on there.
Good Luck,

thrillseekers

Reaction score
Thanks but I've downloaded both the manual and the catalog for that year and I don't see any reference to tank demensions. Does anybody have a phone number I can reach these Grady people on please?

Regards, Thrillseekers

1x Grady 228G - 1989
2 x 17' square stern Grumman canoes
1 x 14' Lonestar aluminum

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't remember ever looking for a phone number, but they are VERY good at getting back to people through the online contact method.

Who's making the tank for you? You might get in touch with them and see if they've already done one - they might have the pattern. If not, they can probably walk you through what dimensions they need and then you can just measure the space. Can't get any more accurate than having the boat right there in front of you to take the measurements from!

suzukidave

Reaction score
grady recently emailed me the original shop drawing for both the fuel tanks for my 1994 tournament 223.

the main tank drawing is dated 1/5/1992, so the dimensions likely changed when they went to the seavee2 hull and it would not apply to you. it also does not match qdiver's dimensions which suggests to me that qdiver has a pre seav2 tank that would match yours.

the drawing i got is labelled "22/23 hull" and 93 gallons. it is 63" x 23 3/8" width x 15 1/2" depth at centre but the bottom is a partial v. There is a 10 1/2" wide flat centre area at the bottom of the tank and then the tank slopes up to only 13 1/4" deep at the sides.

my 1985 190 tournament tank is flat at the bottom like qdiver's tank.

several people have also commented that grady tanks can be slightly bigger than the hatch opening and difficult to remove so they have ordered slightly smaller tanks as replacements.

i would remove the hatch and measure to be sure.

also fyi, the auxillary tank drawing is dated 9/8/92 and is 56 gallons, also with a semi v bottom. it is identical dimensions to the main tank including the sloping v bottom but only 38 1/2" long.

qdiver

Reaction score
Hey Dave,
That's a good observation being his is an 89 pre SeaV2 and mine is post and has the SeaV2 hull. Might make a difference, I got my dimensions from a Grady drawing also that I found online but it's dated 9/05/78 to fit 2250/22/23/24 and for all I know my actual tank dimensions might be a bit off from that.

Best way is as you & Dennis say, take off the hatch and measure the space, He's looking into buying a new tank anyways and can pick the size to fit the space.