Fuel tank for generator (empty or full)

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I leave my gas fuel tanks full over the winter and treat them with stabil. Should I do the same with generator diesel tank? I have in the past but wanted to double check. I could easily drain the tank and leave it dry.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Really does not matter as people do it both ways with success. Treat it and you will be fine. I personally run fuel down and then fresh fill in the spring. Never had an issue. There are folks that swear by storing tanks full to mitigate condensation and water build up. Flip a coin.

seasick

Reaction score
What does matter more than full or not is adding a treatment to diesel fuel. All kinds of nasties can grow in it. It's one area where I would recommend adding a fuel treatment regularly, not just for storage.

makitamgn

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
My mechanic has recommended that you fill up the tanks and treat it with stabilizer so there is minimum room for water condensation to accumulate in the tank. But others the opposite and I have done it both ways. I did get water accumulate in a tank one winter when I left the tank half empty and that caused my old two stroke Johnson to suck up water causing it not to run in the Spring. Now with a 4 stroke I haven't had any problem either way up here in the Northeast. I agree, flip a coin. Use stabilizer no matter what.