Fuel Tank gauges reading empty

Steds83

Reaction score
Both the Main and Aux tanks are reading empty on the Yamaha multi-function guage (blinking bottom bar). Gauge worked fine last season and now after putting batteries back in, reading empty. What are chances both senders went bad or got stuck over the winter? Did I miss something when installing batteries? Thanks for any help diagnosing this issue - not sure where to start.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm Does the system need to be reset? Is it possible the fuel you thought you had has found a new home and your system is reading correctly?

seasick

Reaction score
Steds83 said:
Both the Main and Aux tanks are reading empty on the Yamaha multi-function gauge (blinking bottom bar). Gauge worked fine last season and now after putting batteries back in, reading empty. What are chances both senders went bad or got stuck over the winter? Did I miss something when installing batteries? Thanks for any help diagnosing this issue - not sure where to start.
Chance of both going bad at the same time is small. A bad tank ground or a bad sender wire is possible. How do you choose which tank level to display? Just to be sire the gauge is OK, when you turn on the ignition, the fuel level should read full during the self test phase and then revert to actual tank level.

freddy063

Reaction score
look at your battery and see if you didn't connect the 3 green wires marked fuel tank grounds on my boat there about 16 gauge and there all in one lug.

Steds83

Reaction score
freddy063 said:
look at your battery and see if you didn't connect the 3 green wires marked fuel tank grounds on my boat there about 16 gauge and there all in one lug.

freddy063 - I owe you one! I never would have thought to look for a ground wire that my marina crew missed - hooked it up and gauges work just fine. Thanks again!

antaris

Reaction score
Steds83 said:
I never would have thought to look for a ground wire that my marina crew missed - hooked it up and gauges work just fine. Thanks again!

Pretty dangerous wire to miss dont you all think? Under no circumstances should the tank ground wire be left disconnected... :-|

freddy063

Reaction score
Glad I could help, some times even dirt or build up on the grounds there and on the tanks them self will cause the gauges to fail, salt water, cu and al just don't mix. I'll be at West Point this July if I see a Grady go by I'll wave.