Fuel tank install - 83-204c

Merculator

Reaction score
Well I finally got my tank!! its very shiny. it's two inches shorter and about an 1/8 inch larger in width then the origingal, a bit tight but I it can be worked in. The original hard rubber strips the tank sat on are broken and cracked.
What material is good to run along the stringers where the tank sits?
I was considering using a rubberized undercoat on the bottom side of the tank and any spots where the wedges will make contact with the tank.
any thoughts?
Thanks!

richie rich

Reaction score
Merc,
using the rubber is OK if you thoroughly and completely glue the rubber to the tank with 5200. This prevents water from being trapped between the tank and the rubber and it also eliminates the friction between the two. Just make sure the 5200 seals the entire perimeter of the rubber....no where to trap water. You can also use thick vinyl as well....like the stuff warehouses use to make thruway curtains for forklift traffic.

Offshore24

Reaction score
You can buy various thickness' of ABS plastic and glue them in place as well. I'd stay away from rubber as it will again rot over time.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You want something grippy, preferably.
Perhaps a vinly strip, don't want it too soft either.

Neoprene needs the full face seal, can get it on the internet in sheets then cut strips. 1/8 inch thickness

I'm surprised it rotted, out of the sun too. My original stuff good as new, took the belt sander to get rid of the shine and make it more grippy and adhere better.

fastal

Reaction score
Bob, did you do new tanks in your sailfish? DIY? How much did it cost and what do you think the realistic man hours were in the install. thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Never had a leak, pulled both tanks out of boat for inspection.
Cleaned and inspected, had a few pitted areas under neoprene, cleaned out pits and treated with primer, full faced Lifeseal -sealed any contact with neoprene. Installed back in boat, replaced fuel level senders. Did fill/vent lines. Good as new - ready for another 15 yrs.

If you wait for tanks to leak, they will, and cannot be repaired.

There is a myth propagated (sp?) by a former member here that tanks are not supposed to last forever and always will need replacement.

Poppycock.

I figured my tanks would have leaked in about 2-3 more years if left unattended.

My estimate is both tanks were worth more than $5K (material tanks alone).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure what labor would be, 400-500 bucks (?), more for hoses.

richie rich

Reaction score
a set of tanks totaling 200gallons will cost you about $1700 for say a 75 and 125 gallon. Then add hardware and labor.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'll be fishing out of a sea kayak by them , when gas is 15 bucks a gallon.

Or on a Grady boat version of the Chevy VOLT auto.

At least can finally get rid of the VST filter monkey on back.