fuel tank issue and questions 1990 232 Gulfstream

exudedude

Reaction score
Ever since my e-10 issue, I have ben plagued with a very fine spec that looks like cinnamon or paprika. It's getting past my 10 micron racor.

Just for background every hose from fill to carb has been changed, carbs rebuilt, everything has been cleaned numerous times. She runs fine for awhile gets clogged, I drain the racor and fill it half full of seafoam, run engine and foul the plugs. Clean plugs or change them and the engine runs like a scalded cat (1990 vx 250). Then the vicous cycle starts again.

1st I am going to make a fuel filtering system with a 12v continous duty pump and a 2 micron filter and run it. For more background the tanks have had 3 fill ups of non e10. Tanks have been polished 3 times 1 original and 2 times under warranty for a total of 6hrs with a 5 micron filter. If filtering does not work I am going to get a new tank(s) I guess :shock:

If some one could answer a few question and save me the grief of cutting silicone and pulling decklids again, I would appreciate it.

1 Is there a walled divider between my 2 tanks?

2 Does anyone know the rough dimensions of my 2 tanks?

3 What would be the negative if I had my 90 and 50 gal tanks removed and had 1 single tank built?

Does anyone know what this cost in 316ss or in a good grade alum?

Thanks for reading and thanks for an answers you can supply.

gerrys

Reaction score
You may have algae growth in the tank. If that's the case, polishing wont do the trick. I had it in an older boat and had to pull the tank, scrub it, wash out with an algecide and reinstall.
If it's the E10 scrubbing the tanks, you may have to pull them anyway - but I would think the problem would eventually go away.

exudedude

Reaction score
I live on the water and have a lift, I try and run the boat everyday.. been this way for almost 3 months now. I don't understand the algae.. this is real fine, like I said almost a paprika or fine expersso grounds. The polisher told me it was varnish from the pits in the alum.

grady23

Reaction score
I went thru horendous fuel problems last year! This sounds like the E-10 is scrubbing fine particles loose from the inside of your tanks. Why are you putting the SeaFoam directly in your filters and not the fuel tanks??
Are you SURE that the filters are 10 Micron? I don't think you can see a 10 micron particle with the naked eye --- I'm no scientist -- I colud be wrong.

uncljohn

Reaction score
you can put a finer filter in there, but your fuel flow will become restricted even faster

richie rich

Reaction score
I agree with Grady 23...I had theEXACT same scenario and those get particles got through my racors and I kept finding them in my engine filter/trap/screen whatever you call it. I had to pull the tanks...they were holy anyway so its a good thing....I cut them open with a plasma cutter after rinsing and varnish was still on the walls.

2 tanks normally have a bulkhead divider

dimensions are unknown but the OEM would have them...someone posted the OEM tank builder from FLA before...check the search engine on this website...otherwise, you need to measure up after pulling them

If the bulkhead is there, you're removing a structural element...not good.

a new aluminum tank will run about 750 for the 90 and 400-500 for the other...that is an estimate based on my 125/75 combo

exudedude

Reaction score
grady23 said:
I went thru horendous fuel problems last year! This sounds like the E-10 is scrubbing fine particles loose from the inside of your tanks. Why are you putting the SeaFoam directly in your filters and not the fuel tanks??
Are you SURE that the filters are 10 Micron? I don't think you can see a 10 micron particle with the naked eye --- I'm no scientist -- I colud be wrong.

I do put it in th tank also, but a half can in the racor element blows the clog right out... I have a no wake zone going out to the bay, by the time I get thru it the clog is gone. I can burn a 1/3 of a 50 gal tank and the clog is back. I am so sick of this crap. I am no longer burning e-10 and have not been for the last 3 fill ups (450 gals ago)... what a waste WOT is anywhere from 2700 to 4500 rpm :shock: