Fuel Tank material for 265 Express and 232 Gulfstream

UpGrady

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing 2002-2004 Model year 265 Express or 232 Gulfstream with a pair of F4's in the coming year for Lake Ontario Salmon fishing, but I wanted to know if either of these models have poly tanks or if they were still aluminum?

RJTFD

Reaction score
I had a 2000 gulfstream and it had aluminum tanks in it. Both were 91 gallon tanks.

captain swag

Reaction score
I own a 2001 265 and both main and aux. tanks are aluminum.

UpGrady

Reaction score
Thanx guys...i was afraid the answer was aluminum

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
UpGrady said:

What is the expected lifespan of the aluminum tanks Grady uses? 25-30 years? Mine are 20 years old and are shinny and new-looking on the inside - I inspected through the fuel-sending-unit hole with a flashlight. My buddy still has the original tanks in his 87 Gulfstream. He had to change his fuel lines, however.

UpGrady

Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
UpGrady said:

What is the expected lifespan of the aluminum tanks Grady uses? 25-30 years? Mine are 20 years old and are shinny and new-looking on the inside - I inspected through the fuel-sending-unit hole with a flashlight. My buddy still has the original tanks in his 87 Gulfstream. He had to change his fuel lines, however.

It really depends upon usage...saltwater boats can be borrowed time after 10 years. My 86 sailfish is still OEMbut us freshwater and should be fine indefinitely.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
My 1988 232 (always saltwater moored) tanks are mint. I did replace the fuel lines but never the tanks...

gw204

Reaction score
You can't judge the condition of a tank by looking in through the sender hole. You have to pull it for visual inspection out and pressure test it if you still aren't sure.

The tank in my old Formula looked mint on the inside...

Corroded with a few holes on the outside...

IMG_8474.jpg

The tank in my Seafarer had 29 holes in it. It was leaking when I bought it so I didn't bother looking at the inside.

photo12.jpg

Somewhere around 2007 I pulled the tanks from my '93 Sailfish. They had some spots of corrosion, but not too bad. I cleaned and reprimed the spots and stuck them.

In my opinion, after 15 years, they need to be pulled and checked out.

gradydriver

Reaction score
I agree with Brian.....after 15 years they need to be checked....after 20 years they should be replaced along with the lines.....most people only change them when they see gas leaking.....

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
New tanks usually run roughly $10/gallon just for the tank.

Ackdog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok. With that as a starting, doubling the cost of the tank for hoses , connections and glasswork a fair assumption?

seasick

Reaction score
That depends on how hard or easy it is to get the old tank out and the new tank in. Some decks have panels that allow the tank to be accessed and removed without cutting any deck. Other boats have smaller or no panle and that adds a lot of labor to the job. Also, some times when the old tank is removed, some structural damage may be found. That adds up too.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just changed my 87 Seafarer out last summer. It was not yet leaking, but very close as it was very corroded. Most say average is about 13 years, and obviously it like many things "depends".20190617_143618.jpg

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know 2007 adventurer is poly ........

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If your aluminum tank is decent condition with pits on the outside, it is easily repaired and fiberglassed with 3/4 oz mat. I repaired one in 1996 and it still is in great shape. I sand blasted the pits, marine texted them then glasses over the whole tank. It seals off all moisture and stops all corrosion. I also have the original tank in my 88 offshore that I fiberglassed 12 years ago when it had a few pin holes in it. Used the same process.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If your aluminum tank is decent condition with pits on the outside, it is easily repaired and fiberglassed with 3/4 oz mat. I repaired one in 1996 and it still is in great shape. I sand blasted the pits, marine texted them then glasses over the whole tank. It seals off all moisture and stops all corrosion. I also have the original tank in my 88 offshore that I fiberglassed 12 years ago when it had a few pin holes in it. Used the same process.
I'd be afraid of that. Fiberglass/resin and alcohol in gas are not a good combination. Just ask a Bertram owner...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 2004 Seafarer tanks were both done in 2017, basically when I purchased the boat. I didn't catch the auxiliary one till the summer of 2018 when I filled both tanks while in Florida and got a strong gas smell. Pulled inspection plates but didn't see anything at the time. Got home and pulled the floor panels and found the leak in the auxiliary, the sender flange. Full tank and warm temps, the fuel expanded and was leaking around the flange. Pulled tank, ordered new one from FMT, installed spring of 2019. Main tank seemed to be ok, smell had to be coming from the auxiliary leak. Summer of 2019, back in Florida, 2 full tanks, heat, fuel smell again. Get home, pull floor panels once again and pull main tank, holes rotted through the bottom, a lot of trash, sand, leaves under tank up against it in the rear, I'm sure been saltwater saturated through the years. Fall of 2019, another new tank ordered from FMT and installed, ready to fish by October 2019, no more fuel tank issues. All new hoses, fuel and vent, replaced too. Some guys have 80's vintage Grady's with original tanks and still good, like myself and others with late model boats, we've replaced ours due to failure. I firmly believe it is how your boat was maintained as to the life expectancy of your tanks. More attention needs to be given if you're a saltwater guy. My boat is a freshwater boat 95% of the time now with a minimal saltwater trip once or twice a year.

Firm believer in fresh water flushing your tanks, especially if you're in saltwater. Check your inspection plates. All of mine, either the plate or the ring, were cracked and allowed saltwater over the years before I bought her, to leak onto the tanks.