Fuel tank project is complete

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
KY don't listen to these old buggers! (lol.. teasing you all.. heh)... they are all jelly and WISH... ahem.. like me...heh.. they could do this as well as you!

Looks great!

Nothing to see but awesome-sauce!

:p

R

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Nice job, shouldn't have to worry about tanks again for many many years. Putting my 226 in the water tomorrow for the first time this year, hope the fish are biting.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The install really looks good. Where did the leaks in the original tank end up being?

Now I'm nervous about having to replace mine since it's two years older than yours.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The install really looks good. Where did the leaks in the original tank end up being?

Now I'm nervous about having to replace mine since it's two years older than yours.

The leaks were around the pickup hose elbow and the sending unit flange. This is my auxiliary tank. Main tank seems OK for now, but I replaced all hoses on both tanks.
20181105_165525.jpg20181105_165509.jpg20181105_165536.jpg

Powjunkie

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hey guys - new to the forum (first post). I’m picking up my first Grady (1986 sailfish 25) tomorrow and have a question about the floor above the tanks. The previous owner replaced the tanks but I’m told that he didn’t use the right foam above the tank which caused the floor to crack. Another boat I looked at had wood between the tank and floor but it was spongy too. What’s the correct install method to properly support the floor above these tanks?

Last edited:

Willy-C

Reaction score
Hey guys - new to the forum (first post). I’m picking up my first Grady (1986 sailfish 25) tomorrow and have a question about the floor above the tanks. The previous owner replaced the tanks but I’m told that he didn’t use the right foam above the tank which caused the floor to crack. Another boat I looked at had wood between the tank and floor but it was spongy too. What’s the correct install method to properly support the floor above these tanks?

My 19’ tank cover was spongy, pulled it and found the wood inside cover was wet and some rot. Had to strip the core material out and replace using epoxy, mat and wood. It’s rock solid now and only supported by the outside rim where screwed to floor.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Yep, pretty easy fix. Flip the cover and remove the core. Replace with wood squares or composite covered with a couple layers of 17 or 1808. You can do a better job than the minimum wage work that went into the original.

Powjunkie

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Cool, so the floor/cover is supposed to support itself vs relying on wood/foam sandwiched between it and the tank?

Fishtales

Reaction score
On most that is the way it is done. You could change out the wood for pieces of phenolic material. Most of the tanks are locked into place with little pieces of plastic that are screwed down versus wood.