Fuel tank replacement round 2!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
And so it begins. Round 2 of fuel tank replacement. Brought boat home yesterday, had to mow yard when I got in today. So far have the floor panel off, hoses off, sending unit out, sending unit wiring off, nylon wedges almost all out. Some of the heads twisted off, so have a little work to do to get the rest out. Siphoned the fuel out. I'll take the grinder to the panel flange where it sits to widen it to get tank out. Should be able to pull it Saturday. Looking in through the sender hole looks like I can see a hole in the bottom, I'll know more after I get it out.
20190829_193811.jpg20190829_195354.jpg20190829_210126.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
I like that picture! When you pull the tank, I's like to know what was underneath the corroded area. Perhaps a stringer with a rubber strip?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I like that picture! When you pull the tank, I's like to know what was underneath the corroded area. Perhaps a stringer with a rubber strip?

Me too. I'm curious as to where the leak is. I'll know tomorrow.

Lsquared

Reaction score
hmmm, is it me or that hole doesnt look big enough to get the tank out., gonna be interesting to jockey that thing outta there

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
hmmm, is it me or that hole doesnt look big enough to get the tank out., gonna be interesting to jockey that thing outta there

Grady gives us these big holes to look at our tanks, but you can't pull the tank without some grinder/sander work. Belt sander was my friend on the auxiliary tank removal, I'll be firing it up this afternoon to make way for main tank removal.

Reactions: UCPA111

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
all this gas tank replacement gets me nervous. Ive got a 1993 Adventurer with the original tank. I wish the top of my tank looked that nice !!
The floor panel is definitely mushy now and must come out at the end of the season. The fill hose to the tank must also go, that has gotten mushy and slimy also. No signs of gas leak and gauge works fine.
I think my only saving grace may be that the boat has been a trailer queen its whole life.
Things are gonna get interesting in the off season.
Good luck with your work Ky

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If your fill hose is mushy and slimy if has come to the end of it's life. Ethanol has eaten it up. Fuel lines deteriorate from the inside out from the ethanol.

Also found all my inspection plates are cracked thereby allowing water, be it fresh or salt, to enter in and drip on the tanks. Three new ones on the way.

Didn't get to where I wanted to be tonight. Still can't get the tank out without major surgery. Will try it again in the morning while everything is cool. Thinking it may be swelled up from sun and heat.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Tank is finally out. Cooler weather didn't help. Had to remove the divider piece that supports the back and front of both panels and lift tank straight up. A little more hardcore removal than the auxiliary tank. A little fiberglass work and I can put that piece back in.

As suspected, I did have a hole about the size of a screwdriver shaft but after some prodding with a punch in the rotten area, that hole opened up. The aluminum was rotted from corrosion and saltwater.

Now the cleanup begins!
20190831_080800.jpg
20190831_080820.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll upload more later. Website keeps saying file to large. They're the same as the others. May be overworking it.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's quite a project. Is the new tank the same dimensions as the old one so your old sender will work?

By the way, I have had that refusal to load pictures and restarting the computer fixed it.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Tank is exact specs as original. Ordered from OEM supplier, Florida Marine Tank. I just resized them, now they work. New tank comes with a new sender. I did keep this sender as it's new last year. Spare parts.

seasick

Reaction score
Was the corrosion at a spot where the tank rested on some sort of rubber or foam strip?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Was the corrosion at a spot where the tank rested on some sort of rubber or foam strip?

It looks like it. If not, it was right next to it. Been removing sand and leaves that had built up underneath at the rear of the tank. That in itself was keeping moisture up against the tank, couple that with saltwater from leaking inspection plates, perfect storm to rot the tank.

Reactions: cdwood

UCPA111

Reaction score
It's unfortunate that we have to do surgery to remove the tank. I would have though GW would have given enough room. Patriot Marine Fab makes tanks that to GW specs but a little narrower to make it easier to install and someday remove.

I ended up putting an aluminum angle under the flange to support the floor. Drilled and tapped. Made a custom aluminum floor piece.

seasick

Reaction score
Mr research shows that these tanks should not be installed with foam or rubber strips. Over time, carbon leaches out and in combination with salt water and aluminum, creates a nice battery. There are other recommended materials for 'bedding' the tank

Lsquared

Reaction score
Jjeassh what a mess...would never thought that would all pile up there. Been thinking about this.. What about putting some sort of protector on the bottom of the tank? Like maybe spread some tar or flex seal liner so nothing would touch the bootom again...thoughts?