Fuel Tank Replacement

Reel-axed

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hi everyone,

I recently picked up a 1986 Grady White 190 Tournament that is in surprisingly good condition. One of the previous owners had replaced the fuel tank with a 17 gallon poly tank which I need to replace with a larger tank. Won't go very far with only 17 gallons of fuel.... I read some of your threads about this already and reached out to RDS about getting an original replacement tank, today they got back to me and informed me that due to Covid and supply chain issues they are no longer building any special order tanks... I haven't had a chance to get into the fuel tank cavity and take measurements yet, wondering if any of you have the measurements for the original tank or the fuel tank cavity on hand?

I will be restoring her over this winter and looking forward to getting advise, tips, and tricks from all of you.

seasick

Reaction score
Since the tank area was reworked, you really need to open up the deck and see what space you have to work with. Who knows what supports were added and/or removed.

Reel-axed

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
seasick, I have had the cover off already during my inspection of the boat before I purchased it, it is wide open other than some 2x4 wood bracing they installed around the little 17 gallon tank which is all easily removed. At the time I wasn't thinking about tank measurements when I was inspecting the boat. The fuel tank cavity is wide open between the stringers up to the divider for the center floor storage box.

seasick

Reaction score
OK. That's good.
You may want to look at a poly tank. They come in various capacities and I would pick one that fits the opening as best as possible. A poly tank is probably going to be less expensive than a custom aluminum. In addition, they last almost forever.
Note if you decide on a custom fabricated metal tank, if it has to be shipped, that can add a significant cost

Unfortunately you still need to get the measurements of the opening.

Reel-axed

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
That's what I'm looking at now, the boat is covered in a layer of ice/snow at the moment, went out to take measurements today and decided I didn't want to deal with a layer of ice in 20 degree weather. That's why I'm hoping someone here may have them already.

I know the Mercury 200 Carb won't go very far from the gas pump with a 17 gallon tank... lol

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
That's what I'm looking at now, the boat is covered in a layer of ice/snow at the moment, went out to take measurements today and decided I didn't want to deal with a layer of ice in 20 degree weather. That's why I'm hoping someone here may have them already.

I know the Mercury 200 Carb won't go very far from the gas pump with a 17 gallon tank... lol
You can contact Grady White customer service and they should have the original tank drawings on file. They sent me all the specs for my 96 248 tanks. Good luck

Reactions: BIG B and Reel-axed