Fuel tank selector valves

Emerald-coast-Grady

Reaction score
It's almost spring and i have just about got our 87' Seafarer back to fishin' condition. We took the boat to a local lake a couple of weekends ago for a shake down ride and all went well, except I'm a little confused. On the back of the boat there are two valves for the fuel tanks. We only had gas in the main tank. Which direction do the levers need to be for the main and aux tank. Why is there two valves. We finally got the boat running with both levers with the part you don't hold pointing toward the motors/transom. I've looked in the owners manual and it is not clear on the position of them, and it only shows one. So I'm confused...

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are two valves since you have twin engines. Each valve controls each respective engines fuel line and which tank it is drawing from. I do not know how they were run so I do not know which direction on your boat is drawing off which tank. It sounds like since you got them to run and only had fuel in the main tank that however they are now is how they draw off the main tank. To draw off aux, they should be turned 180 degrees. I would mark a spot behind the valves so that you know which way to turn them in the future to draw off which ever tank you wish.

G8RDave

Reaction score
GradyFish is right. One valve for each engine. On my 2004 228 the pointer (the part you don't hold) points to the stern for the main tank and towards the bow for the aux tank.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
At first it's a little confusing as to which end of the handle is right. There is a pointer on the oppisite side of the handle which points to the AUX or MAIN. I would have prefered if the handle was the true indication not the little arrow.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Grog said:
At first it's a little confusing as to which end of the handle is right. There is a pointer on the oppisite side of the handle which points to the AUX or MAIN. I would have prefered if the handle was the true indication not the little arrow.
So true, it had me looking closer as well. I think they should have made the point a little longer. At first I thought it was the handle as well.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree, it is confusing if you have never done this before. Even though it was marked, I had to run the tanks and check to confirm the markings were right. I printed labels and put them on the bulkhead behind the valves to say which tank I'm running. Now, when the valve handle points to that tag, I know what it is running. I did this more so for my Dad because he does not understand the whole 2 tank thing, but it makes things easier for me as well, now I do not double check my valves to see where I am drawing from. Also, your fuel tank gauge should always read the tank you draw from, if you switch to check your level, switch back unless you switch the valves as well. I know some guys who write in pencil on the helm what tank they draw from, it easily will come off but will stay for a trip or two. I always have pencils on board at the helm anyways, gotta write those GPS numbers quickly!!!!

jehines3

Reaction score
Two tanks, two motors, four options.
Engine 1 on main tank or aux tank
Engine 2 on main tank or aux tank

My main is forward my aux is aft. I drain the front then the back. A full front and empty back lead to a bow down attitude and lots of bow steer. I generally run off the same tank for both motors meaning if I switch, I switch both.

confusing, not really but it does take some thinking. If you start using a fuel management system it is really easy since you know what is in each tank and you need to know what you are running from. jh

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Everybody keeps talking about running off one tank for both engines and then switching. Does anybody run off both tanks (i.e. both open) meaning even draw on both tanks? If not, why not? Thanks.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Deciding which tank you run off and use will effect your trim, and overall how the boat will ride. The main tank on most models is located closer to the boats center of gravity, giving it a better ride angle, as well as helping it run through waves. Since all grady's have engines far aft, moving weight forward is preferred, on inboard powered boats, engines are mounted lower and further forward, so fuel can be places further aft with less of an effect. I cannot be certain on all Grady models, but on most, you will get better performance numbers running your main full and your aux only when you need it, although i recommend using the aux from time to time so it does not sit dry or have fuel sitting either. When i use both tanks for long runs i burn the aux first. Grady labeled these tanks in this manor because each boat was designed to perform better off the main tank. Can you run an engine off each tank, yes, but I just think it makes fuel management a pain, watching 2 tanks at the same time, and my particular boat runs best off the main, and with fuel prices, I like to save wherever I can. You will not harm your boat or engines running off one tank over another. For each model, you should try and run off different tanks, try one then the other, see how your boat performs better and run it that way, but in most cases it will likely be off the main with a light load in the aux. I always keep 1/3 of a tank in the aux as a safety net, even when inshore and when I know the bite is local, I will add fuel to the aux and run it for a handful of trips just so my gas does not sit and my fuel burns will not be significant. I would not recommend running off both at the same time, not that it will hurt your engines or tanks, but just that judging your fuel is harder to do.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Gradyfish, thanks for a thoughtful and analytical response to my inquiry. I am currently playing with running off one tank versus both and comparing fuel usage numbers. Good tip also on labeling inside the bulkhead. I will add that to my list of things to do -- in our year round boating climate :twisted: