Fuel tank sending unit question

Hunter

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if my sending unit has gone bad or not. When I jump the wires at the tank my guage reads half full, I would of thought it would read full. Also the test light is dim, I've checked all the grounds and the power conections and all seem good. Any advise would be great.

Hunter

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
I can't answer your question but would like to recommend that you may want to consider a fuel flow quage instead. It would give you an exact reading of what fuel you have in your tank. May run you about $125 to get one.

Just food for thought.

gw204

Reaction score
Teleflex has troubleshooting tips on their website. You may want to check there.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Shout off the ship's DC power feed, disconnect the wires to the sender and read resistance of the sender on your digital multimeter set to resistance. Put the test light away.

What you you read ?
And how full or empty do you think the tank is, if you know.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP is correct, put the test light away. If the sender is a cylindrical tube with a float/element inside which slides up and down, the measurement recognized by the bar gauge is ohms. The correct resistance reading for the sender is approximately 30-240 ohms (full to empty)I think. Will check tomorrow.

I had to test mine last year when I had a switch problem, i.e. main to aux tank.

Hunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. Hopefuly I will spend some time on it tomarrow to try to figure it out.

Challenge

Reaction score
If it is bad, call grady customer support, they will tell you the length of the unit. Their is a company called Weema down on Florida which makes and sells them. Also when replacing make sure to mark the unit because the holes are not equal distance apart so it only will go in one way.

Cheers

Rick