Fuel thiefs

glastron21

Reaction score
Just a heads up for everybody. I have a place on a lagoon in Mystic Islands, NJ. Decent area and never had a problem. 2 weeks ago my neighbor calls me and tells me someone siphoned 25 gallons out of his tank during the week. I go out and buy the locking fuel inserts and feel I'm pretty secure. Not. They hop on my boat and disconnect the primer bulb to get my gas. Hose is to short for them so they pull the cowling off my other engine and cut the fuel line up by the filter. I guess it was taking to long because my tank which was filled the prior weekend only needed 3 gallons to fill back up. It took me all day to get the one engine running right. The vapor or air lock in the lines was killing me. Keep an eye out guys. The scumbags will be out in force with $4+ a gallon gas.

Jim
265 Express

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gas is about the same as a pound of scrap clean copper wire, and they strip homes of copper.

jehines3

Reaction score
For a split second this weekeng, I was going to re-rig the boat in the slip stern in, instead of bow in, but reconsidered. Right now it is a pain to get on the boat since my finger pier only goes to the pulpit on the port side. However this makes the fuel fills and the motors most inconvienient for crooks. I think I'll be leaving well enough alone for now. Thanks for the reminder. jh

Fishtales

Reaction score
I didn't even consider the primer bulbs. On earlier boats (pre 05 I believe) the primer bulbs were inside the eurotransom - out of sight/mind and at least more difficult to access.

On later models, they moved the bulbs outside of the eurotransom for easy access to prime - and unfortunately easy access to get at the fuel lines.

I bought the inserts thinking this would keep them away.... Well, it doesn't have to be bullet proof, just harder to syphon than the rest of the boats on my dock. Hopefully they will go elsewhere.

This is getting to be a royal PIA. Cost of fuel, risk of fuel theft, and theft in general with the tightening economy coupled with the high cost to play this game is getting OFC. I do like it though.....

Sean O'Grady

Reaction score
Why not switch the gas tank cap with the holding tank cap?
Sure would be fun watching the scumbags trying to siphon gas out of a holding tank.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sean O'Grady said:
Why not switch the gas tank cap with the holding tank cap?
Sure would be fun watching the scumbags trying to siphon gas out of a holding tank.

Funniest thing I've read in a long time. Great idea!! Will it work?

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Received a note from our marina this past week that fuel thefts have been reported on teh dock I'm on. Being our marina has a guard on duty every night who also walks the docks the belief is the crooks came in by boat using something quiet like a small flat bottom with an electric motor or oars.