Fuel Vent

sluggoe

Reaction score
I have a 2002 282 sailfish. Where is the fuel vent located?....my owners manual says the starboard vent amidships is the holding tank vent so I am a bit confused.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There should be at least 3 vents (come to think of it I'm not sure where the fresh water tank vent is and that would make 4). The two that are together are for the fuel tanks, the one a little lower and by itself is for the holding tank.

After thinking the fresh water vent is by the helm (at least on mine).

ocdansar

Reaction score
Most likely they vent inside the fill tubes mine are right under the cap and the boat is an 01

sluggoe

Reaction score
response...

ok thx....but if the fuel vents are beneath the fuel caps then that would vent fumes/overfills right into the bilge area under the deck--not good....wadda u think??

i think the water vent is located right alongside the water fill in the stern area.

-sluggoe

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the cap is the vent and the cap is located on the gunnel (is it?), then how do you figure fumes will get into the bilge?

seasick

Reaction score
The vent is in the fuel fill assembly itself. The cap has a small vent hole and a rubber check valve (plug) on its underside.
Here's how it works: The fumes or overflow run up the vent line into a fitting jsut below the top of the filler. From there they flow back into the tank or vent to the atmosphere in the case of fumes. If you fill the tank all the way until the filler rig shuts off, you will probably have some overflow or may block the vent. You should try not to completely fill the tank (easier said then done in many cases)

ocdansar

Reaction score
seasick said:
The vent is in the fuel fill assembly itself. The cap has a small vent hole and a rubber check valve (plug) on its underside.
Here's how it works: The fumes or overflow run up the vent line into a fitting jsut below the top of the filler. From there they flow back into the tank or vent to the atmosphere in the case of fumes. If you fill the tank all the way until the filler rig shuts off, you will probably have some overflow or may block the vent. You should try not to completely fill the tank (easier said then done in many cases)
Excatly right my water tank vents the same way, only vent on the side of my boat is for holding tank.

sluggoe

Reaction score
thx

got it!! thx for your help.
--sluggoe.