Fuel / water filter How many times a seaon do you change ?

Roadworker

Reaction score
I was wondering how many times a season do you guy's change your fuel/ water filter ?

My boat goes in in around April and out in Nov , so for say a 6 months time what is the right amount of times?

thanks all

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you refering to the spin on water/fuel filters, I use 2 a yr, I put an average of 50-60 hrs on my engine a season. I replace it at every 30 hours, but I remove it and drain it out into a glass jar once every 2 weeks durng use to see what is getting trapped in it. It is a good thing too, I got one from walmart on an older boat I used to own and they must have kept it in a moist area and the inside was rusted. I could not see the rust when I put it on but when the fuel filled it, it sent rusted metal bits that were inside the filter right to my carbs. I was sooooo pissed. Cost me $800 in repairs and only got $350 from walmart.
I figure for a 6-7$ filter better to change often than not.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use the 10 micron Yamaha filters, I get 100 hrs out of them or more, I believe Yamaha says change them every 100 hrs. If you use the boat enough and gas never sits you should not have issues unless you get a bad load of fuel somewhere. If your boat sits you might need to change them more often, especially if it sat for more then 2-3 months. The filter should be changed atleast 1 time a year at a minimum. I always carry a spare pair for my boat, quick and easy tyo change on the water if they have issues and your going to sue it at some point when it needs replacement anyways, might as well carry the spares on board, could salvage a trip rather then ruin it and make for a bad day on the water.
If your having issues with the filters, upgrade to a racor, I wish I had, it is on my list of upgrades for the future for sure. Racor now has a 2 micron filter as well, the finer the filtration the better off your engine is, bad part is you might go through more filters or need to drain the bowl more, but whatever keeps your engine from seeing bad fuel is worth the money.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Once a year is how often I change my 10micron Yamaha filters. I average 150 hours per year and never go more than a couple of weeks at a time without using the boat so my fuel does stay fresh.

When I change the filter I empty the gas into a clean, clear jar to check for water. I'll let it settle for a while and then pour it into my vehicle. I've never had any water in the fuel (knock on wood).

I also keep a new spare on board just in case I do develop a problem...it's a lot better than a tow in :lol:

Kenlahr

Reaction score
every 100 hours. Which is several times a year for us. I always have two new ones aboard.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I haven't owned my boat but a few months and the person I bought it from said the filter was new.
My question is my filter is mounted low and looks like it will be a little difficult to reach. It looks like it's about the size of a spin off oil filter.
Do you need to place thin pan under it and do you have any spillage when changing.
This is the first boat I've had with a fuel filter.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Try placing a gallon size freezer bag around the filter before removing. This works for me without spilling a drop. I usually nudge it loose with a filter wrench before I use the bag.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Strike zone is right on, I place a plastic bag under the filter, and use a filter wrench to loosen it eough to spin by hand. I also shove a rag underneath to absorb anything incase I get careless, it really is a simple job.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Strikezone and Gradyfish I'll use the plastic bag.
Great idea.
Lots of knowledge on this site.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had been trying to find the link to the Racors and here it was in my favorites at the office. This is for the 10 micron filters with the clear bowl and and water bleeder. And it's the one that fits the yamaha filter mount. For $35 how can you beat it?

I put one on a couple of months ago so I could see if I'm getting water. Every time I replaced one of those $25 yamaha filters I think I'm throwing my money away. A hundred hours is about 5-600 gallons for me. Once a year will be more than enough unless I get bad gas. At least this way I can see if water is collecting.

I write on the replaced date with a sharpie. I do my water filters at the house that way too.

http://www.marinefilters.com/productdet ... er=WB32013

B32013B32014.jpg

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
change times

racors or 500 hrs

yami and the rest is 100 hrs

i do the yamis yearly or 100

or racors 3 years or 500hrs

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
change times

racors or 500 hrs

yami and the rest is 100 hrs

i do the yamis yearly or 100

or racors 3 years or 500hrs

That's funny you would say that. I didn't want to muddy the waters, but was figuring the same thing. If my filter on my duramax is good for 20-25K miles, that's 12-1500 gallons of fuel. And it is way more picky than my outboard. It has a water bleed-off valve too but no bowl. So I figure the Racor is good unless I see water or I get a reduced flow. Oh, and the filter on my 8.1L in the motorhome is less than half the size and they say 15-20K miles for them too. It has a 75gl tank.

I don't let old fuel sit in my tank either. I keep it treated and/or burn it out. The bowl in the motor is always crystal clear.

sluggoe

Reaction score
if this is your first time, make sure you don't strip the threads by forcing the new filter on!!

i usually fill the filters up with gas (about 3/4 full) bdfore i place them on very gently.

my mechanic said at least once a season to change.....depending on how often you use the boat (ie less often = more changing).

do you guys fill yours up with gas prior to installing?

--slug

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do put about 1/2 to 3/4 filter full of gas in the new filter before spinning it on. It sure saves a lot of priming with the bulb .

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sluggoe said:
my mechanic said at least once a season to change.....depending on how often you use the boat (ie less often = more changing).

do you guys fill yours up with gas prior to installing?

--slug

Hmmm...less use, more time gas is sitting in the tank, more likely to get stale and collect water. I personally don't buy into the condensation deal on half or fully empty tanks, but I have read about the logic for it and against it.

Yes, it's easier to prime your fuel line if you pre-fill the filter.

seasick

Reaction score
Yamaha 10micron: I change once a year in the spring AFTER the first engine run on muffs. I run less than 100 hours a season. I do pour the filter contents into a jar and let it sit to look for contaminants or water and so far I haven't found any. I pour the jar contents right back into the tank.

martinclukey

Reaction score
Re: Fuel / water filter How many times a seaon do you chang

I am changing my water filter in monthly basis. Because i thought there is an important problem should be created when we can not change these water filter. thanks.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re:

seasick said:
Yamaha 10micron: I change once a year in the spring AFTER the first engine run on muffs. I run less than 100 hours a season. I do pour the filter contents into a jar and let it sit to look for contaminants or water and so far I haven't found any. I pour the jar contents right back into the tank.

Exactly my M.O.

River Rat

Reaction score
Re: Fuel / water filter How many times a seaon do you chang

On every boat we've had we put new filters on at the beginning of each season and kept a spare set on board. Each spring the spares are installed and replaced with new spares. Depending on the boat, we used anywhere from 300 - 600 gallons a year. Never had a fuel filter issue, regardless of fuel consumed or hours run.