Furuno 1650 plotter/fishfinder

pwake7

Reaction score
Anybody have the 1650 and have difficulty using this in the bay. When i have the fishfinder on running at higher speeds than 20, the whole screen goes red and says im in 300ft of water. I usually have to turn it to manual and it will go back to normal depth. does the system not work good in shallow depths or do i need to adjust some settings. Seems like something is wrong. Anybody have any advice?

seasick

Reaction score
Churned up water will affect many transducers and cause them to erroniously read water depth. Sometimes the reading is too deep an sometimes it is too shalow. You say that you turn the unit off and on to reset. If you leave it alone and slow down doesn't it read correctly after a bit?
The position of the transducer can make the problem better or worse. First thing to check is that the transducer is mounted per the instructions and adjusted to the correct height and angle. A little change in height can make a big difference.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have the same one and when on manual...you have to adjust the gain lower or use it at 200 vs 50 (which is the wide angle). Mine has never really worked great when moving fast so I usually slow down. Works great at trolling speeds.

John F.

Reaction score
I have an 1850 that I use in the Bay and it holds bottom up to 30 knots with a through-hull (boat doesn't go any faster). When I come in my creek, which shallows out to as low as 4', I have to go to manual and turn the gain way down and it'll read to as low as 3'. Basiscally, any less than 7', I go to manual and it works fine. Its also almost always on 50/200 split. So, it sounds to me like a t-ducer mount location problem that you may be able to overcome by going to manual.

pwake7

Reaction score
Sounds like the right answer guys. When im cruising it does not read at all, 30mph. When i slow down to about 20 or when trolling it works great. I will have to try turning the gain down on the manual. I dont have the thru hul transducer although i may want to get this done. Anybody knwo how much this would cost?

okletsfish

Reaction score
I have the same unit .I always run on manual and never had that problem.I do loose bottom in less than 4`and that has alway bothered me,
so I slow down in skinny water.