furuno/airmar flush mount transducer thoughts

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am considering a 1kw furuno flush mount in hull transducer for my 265 express . Has anyone had experience with these new transducers ? especially how effective are they at 20-30 knots?

gulfcart

Reaction score
I put a Airmar m260 in my 2008 33 Express. Everyone I've talked to says its a great transducer even at cruise.. I've moved it twice with Gradys recommendations it still looses the bottom at 18-20 mph. I'm on spot # 3... I don't believe its the transducer since it willl come back if I put trim tabs down all the way. Problem is the box is $250 everytime you change it!! Grady doesn't believe the hull change in 2008 makes it ride different. If you do a search on THT you'll see some posts.

mullet

Reaction score

I have an m260 on 228G working with my furuno 582L..I have had no issues up to 35 mph...heres where I mounted it(thats he rear fuel tank), its between the fuel tank and the fresh water tank.
ebay093.jpg

Picture017.jpg

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I am particularly interested in the new flush mounted in hull transducers . Particularly a 1kw for deep water but especially must be able to read at speed as my current 1kw transducer gives an excellent picture at troll speeds but that's it.....

deltarome

Reaction score
jekyl, i too am interested in a shoot thru 1kw for my 330. I think you need to be away from any upstream water intakes on the hull. I look at mine on the lift and there aren't many areas left to try condidering the limited access to bilge.
There is a newer Airma transducer that has a wide angle for both frequencies. See their website.

Korona

Reaction score
I installed the Airmar B164 1KW tilted element in my Grady. I run it with a Furuno FCV585. Works great and definately holds bottom at cruising speed (22-28 kts). Hardest part was drilling a 3.75" dia hole in my boat.

gulfcart

Reaction score
DSC00717.jpg

0210081026.jpg

Here are my installs on my 2008 GW 33 Express. The first is in aft berth bilge area as GW engineers recommended. When that didn't work they told me to cut a hole in the rear storage compartment.. See picture.. Still doesnt work. And I ruined the storsge compartment. Streaks and I loose a good bottom at 18mph.. Put trim tabs down it comes back. They claim never had any trouble in the '07s and earlier. I think the '08's ride higher out of the water IMO. It's an Airmar M260. Now they say go all the way to the aft bilge area.. Lot's of luck fitting it in there. Mean while its $250 a pop for the boxes.. LOL

Don't want a thru hull... Airmar says if I have to I can epoxy the puck directly to the hull without the box to fit in aft bilge..Not recommended because of heat issue.[/img]

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Korona, sounds like you have what I want. Did you have to get the digital sounder box, to run the 1kw transducer with the 585?
Where have you mounted the flush mount transducer and why did you choose that one in particular? sorry about the questions ....but like you it is not easy to put a hole in your boat, especially if you are not certain of the results.
I don't really want a thru hull as i have had a boat with a thru hull and an in hull and the in hull provided lots more detail. I believe Furuno say you lose around 20% of your power with a thru hull. If you are going to spend the money on powerful transducers it seems you want to get the best picture value from it.
It is a very interesting black art it seems .....and the guys who sell the hardware here don't always have the real world experience with different hull shapes etc. thanks guys.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking at the photos you guys have sent it there is some great installs.

As far as position goes I have always believed with a planing hull you want it as near the stern as you can....and then it is a matter of getting some clean water.

Some of the transom mounts actually do a great job.....which says a lot about location ....not always pretty but you do have the ability to adjust them a fair bit.

Korona

Reaction score
Jekyl,
Didn't need anything else, the 585 is already set up for the 1KW...just need to select it on one of the menu screens. My boat's 22' w/single eng outboard. I mounted it in the bilge, starboard side, about 1 foot fwd of the transom. Only problem I have with this location is that it loses bottom in reverse due to the counter prop rotation throwing turbulance up against the bottom of the boat on the starboard side. However, on this boat it was the only feasible location. I chose the B164 due to good reports on THT and elsewhere and lack of bilge space to mount the shoot thru liquid bath apparatus. Good luck.

deltarome

Reaction score
check out the new SS270 1kw transducer that doesn't loose beam spread. It is a shoot thru like the 260

gulfcart

Reaction score
deltarome said:
check out the new SS270 1kw transducer that doesn't loose beam spread. It is a shoot thru like the 260
I actually bought one out of frustration... It is a monster..2' x 5" fairing, wieghs 16lbs! (see Airmar Web Site) Couldn't find a place to put it.. Especially since i already had moved my m260 twice. Called Grady Engineers.. A week later they said no go, they were worried it might alter the performance of the hull it was so big. Airmar did say they may be coming out this year with a 1kw wide beam in hull. Anyway they got me for 15% restock plus shipping. It goes on and on with transducers with new boat with GW's blessings.