Furuno Auto Pilot

Shortround

Reaction score
I am considering installing a furuno 511 auto pilot on my new boat (Marlin). I am installing all other furuno equipment - fish finder, chartplotter and radar with overlay capabilities. If I use the furuno auto pilot I will save on the cost of the compass which can be used for both the radar overlay feature and the auto pilot. As I understand it - if I were to use another auto pilot the furuno compass would not be compatible. So my question is - Has anyone had any experience with the 511? It seems that the over whelming favorite is Simrad. Should I just go with the Simrad and its extra cost?

Thanks,
Shortround

gerrys

Reaction score
The 511 is a solid autopilot. I had one on my Marlin (sold in 2008) and it was flawless.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That furuno unit is a great unit. Simrad does make the best units out there but there is nothing wrong with the furuno what so ever. i totally understand the urge to want to keep with the same brand..,. I just broke from that... I'm a furuno fan but just bought a Raymarine AP...for the price it wa shard to beat and a Simrad wasn't in my budget with everything else I'm doing this season to the boat. As much as I like to keep the same electronics, it really isn;t necessary, buy the best piece of equipment you can. Simrad would be my first choice personally, they have some great features and Simrad puts a lot more time and effort into development then many other brands which si why they are at the top of the list. Either way you will be very happy with either unit. Buy the one with the features that suits your boating needs the best, if one has features that would be more useful go with that unit regardless of brand name.

prodiver

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 2008 Grady 275 tournament has the furuno autopilot. It works great. They were going to put Simrad in, but were backed up at the factory. Be sure you get the round control knob for course changes, it's much easier IMHO, than the buttons. It may be that the 511 comes that way...