Furuno DFF1 and B164 1KW transducer??

docbrianw

Reaction score
I just had a B164 1KW installed on my 257 Advance by pompano beach Grady White. They installed the 20 deg unit on the starboard side close to the raw water intake just to the right outside the first stringer. I have a navnet GD1700C display with sounder box ETR 6/10N (2003 electronics). When the new transducer was installed I cannot read past 600 ft sitting stationary with 50hz (low freq). The airmar unit is supposed to read over 2500 ft. I would like to get 1500 ft reading for sword fishing. I called Grady White and they say the transducer isn't the problem for the only 600ft depth reading. Do you think the old transducer box isn't powering the new transducer even though it is set for 1KW?? Should I purchase the new DFF1 transducer box to power the B164?

Thanks for any tips
Brian

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have you tried switching the J12 jumper? It's easy to confuse the 600kW and the 1kW positions.

It's possible to test the output of the transducer with the proper instruments. I would give Gil Travis a call:

1103travis.gif

He's very knowledgeable and will talk your ear off regarding Airmar units.

docbrianw

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I re-checked the transducer box setting, It is set to 1KW. I'm going to get the DFF1 transducer box to see if that increases depth and clarity since my the ETR 6/10 is 10 years old. Hopefully, I can get on the water this weekend to test it. If that doesn't work, I'm going to check with Pompano Beach Grady White about replacing the B164 airmar transducers. They said they would warranty the transducer and the install.