Furuno problems

Jhopman

Reaction score
I have a Furuno FCV 582L depth finder that seems to have an issue with the temp. reading. It just has a constant reading of *9.9 degrees F. I unplugged it to see if there was a problem with the connection and everything looked fine. When unplugged the reading went to
- - . - Degrees F. Do I have a problem with the through hull transducer? Any help woulde be great?

My boat also came with a little Furuno 1623 Radar. The last time I attempted to use it I didn't get any reading. I pulled the cover off the dome and discovered that nothing was turning/moving. I'm pretty sure I'm getting power up there so can it be as simple as the little 12v motor that powers the belt needs replaced? Again, any help solving the mystery would be greatly appreciated.

On a good note my Garmon GPS works just fine!!

gerrys

Reaction score
The fact that you get 2 different readings by unplugging and plugging the temp sensor tells me it is either in the transducer or the cable between the 582 and the transducer. Is there a second plug at the transducer?

Jhopman

Reaction score
I just took a look at the transducer to see if I could find a model number. There is only one wire/cable coming from the transducer from what I can tell. Also, there was not a tag on the cable as described by tech support with a model number. I didn't try to take it apart just yet. I guess I'm calling back again??

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad sensor to me or a loose or bad wire. If it is an airmar cable coming from the transducer there might not be markings on the wire since it is all 1 piece, but their should be a model number on the unit somewhere. also knowing your FF model will limit what transducers could have been used. As far as the Radar, it sounds like it is the motor, if they sit a long time and corrode, the motor's will die out or just not get enough power to run it due to corrosion. Salt air will really beat them up, Radar's should be sprayed and cleaned a few times a season as well as run even if not needed just to keep them from freezing up, they typically do not break from being used, but more so from lack of use and the salt enviornment. Likely will need to send it to furuno for service.