Furuno vs Raymarine / Siruis Weather

seabum

Reaction score
I just bought a new 228 and I am trying to decide on electronics. Dose anyone have any exp. with C90 or nav net units? Also how well dose the Surius weather work compared to radar for wathching for t-storms in the summer. Thanks for the help tough decisions.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Seabum: Offering a side thought. A couple of years ago when I bought a unit, many brands would not allow you to overlay the weather page onto the chart page. As I recall, Raymarine was one of those units. Things may have changed since then.

That has turned out to be a valuable feature that has helped me avoid some nasty weather.

Rob

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seabum, you might also look at the Garmin unit capable of XM Weather. I have a buddy with a complete Garmin setup including radar and he's been able to dodge T-storm cells offshore and able to salvage a 60 mile run instead of heading back to the hill. The satellite weather shows great detail (just like TV weather stations) while the radar is better used to navigate before sunrise.

I hope to upgrade my electronics in the next year or so and plan on giving the Garmin a hard look.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'll add that my unit is a Garmin 4208. The XM Weather has been great, but with two small drawbacks:

1. There is about a 10-minute delay from the time a T-storm pops up before it is seen on the screen. The info updates every five minutes and I'm guessing it is another 5 minutes from the time a weather radar picks up the storm, processes it and the info is collected by XM. Overall, it is pretty amazing that you get all that info that quickly.

2. I'm guilty of pushing my luck with this new found info. I'm amazed that T-storms which appear to be close enough that I ought to get out of there are really 20 miles away. So I look at the speed and direction of the storm and then figure I can fish for another ten minutes! Maybe not really the Garmin's fault.

Knowing the speed and direction of the storms is a big help when deciding your safest course. Sometimes I make better decisions and just sit under the bridge knowing that it will pass in a bit.

Rob

seabum

Reaction score
Thanks for the replays! I do not have much exp. with Garmin units. Are the fish finders any good? I do use a Garmin Handheld For hunting and realy like it. What uint are they using with siruis weather?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For some reason Garmin does not enjoy as good of a repuatation on the sonar side as they do on the GPS side. I have no complaints on the performance of my 4208 with only a 600 W transom mount transducer. I was really careful about installing the transducer in accordance with the template and maybe that has helped. On a very calm night, I can see bottom while swordfishing in 1400'. But I'm usually looking for bait in the water column much closer in and I'm not sensitive to really fine separation between fish and structure, which, I'm told, is where Furuno shines.

As far as I know, Garmin only uses XM Weather and not Sirius. I don't know that it makes any difference now that the two have merged.

Rob

seabum

Reaction score
that is sad about raymarine this whole economy thing is realy changing things and not for the better. I will loook at furuno more now. Thanks for the info