Fusion Stereo - No Sound

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I have a UD 755 Fusion stereo on my Grady Freedom 285. I am getting no sound at all after about 30 seconds no matter which source I select. I cannot tell whether it is the head unit or the amp. Since the amp is buried, I am hoping someone has a good idea to fix this. I will try to yank out the head unit tomorrow but am loathe to remove the entire sealed side panel to look for the amp.

JMAT

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
Call Grady Customer Service. If you can get through to them they will tell you where the amp is.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
If your sound system is the same as in my 255, I assume the head unit is located in the port side tub where the drink holder is. I had mine out twice to upgrade the head unit. Taking out the tub itself is not a big deal. But getting it around the companion seat was. I had to remove the seat off its base to get the tub out. Once inside the gunwale cavity, I found the small amp. screwed to a piece of starboard which was screwed to the gunwale inside wall. If you see 2 screws with trim washers going through the wall next to your companion seat, those are the amp mounting screws. I got rid of all that factory crap and installed a new Fusion Apollo head unit into the tub. My new JL amps are now mounted to the forward inside wall of the helm console. GW is pretty good about installing enough rigging tubes to run wire. I can now service my sound system without taking the boat apart. It was alot of work but I think in the long run, worth the effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
The problem seems to be resolved. I disconnected the power harness. That seems to have rebooted the head unit so I got sound. But, in doing so, I must have disturbed some of the wires. So, I bypassed the power harness and hard wired all the power connections. All good at least for the moment.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Have seen many issues reported about the Fusion units. Rebooting and resetting etc. sometimes it works only to reoccur the next day. I have the MS-RA205 in a center console that never gets wet and was installed professionally. Boat is stored indoors. This year at start up etc. the only thing I get is the display “Fusion” and nothing else. I googled the problem and see there are plenty of complaints and assorted solutions to remedy the problem. Disconnect this, check that etc. etc. and the issue returns.
The unit I have is only a couple years old and has less then 3 hours run time on it ( best guess). After reading other’s frustrations I will attempt a reset or disconnect this weekend. If it works and the issue reoccurs it goes in the trash. I haven’t the time to waste on a $280 P.O.S. like some others have.

Any suggestions welcome for a replacement unit ?? BTW had a Polyplanar MRD60 prior to the Fusion and it took a dump too. At least it lasted 10 yrs. All other electronics (Furuno) are original and still going strong

Thanks in advance

Last edited: