FYI: Imtra Side-Power bow thruster problem (hopefully solved)

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The factory installed bow thruster on my 2003 330 Express dies after about 10-15 seconds of continuous use. The power just tails off to nothing like it's not moving. If I wait several seconds I can use it again. At first I thought it was a dying battery bank, but it happens even with fresh batteries.

I had the motor removed and sent to Imtra service here near Boston, and they diagnosed the problem as requiring a bad solenoid. They are also going to replace the themoswitch and upgrade the control box to add a delay so that one can't switch quickly between port thrust and starboard thrust which apparently can cause some serious problems.

Just thought I'd mention in case anyone else has the same issue! The customer support at Imtra was excellent... Hopefully the problem will be fixed.

Fishtales

Reaction score
There are only a few things that are easily replaced the solenoid, a the big power transformer (I think) on top. Mine stopped working a few years ago and I tried the solenoid as it is a pretty cheap part. It ended up being the more expensive part. Its been solid since, but I don't use it a ton.