g berths in a 2008 232 Gulfstream

Canada Joe

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 232 Gulfstream’s cuddy cabin has a bench seat on the starboard side with an upper “bunk” above it, (about 12-14” wide) suspended by straps. The photos for the model show it converting to a fairly tight double berth with the upper bunk filling in the companionway beside the lower bench. However, in my boat the upper bunk is hinged to the side of the cabin with permanent screwed in hinges.
Is there a conversion kit I can get to be able to have a decent sized berth in the boat?

Attachments

• 8F364182-A17D-40C1-98F6-0B66E20F9EF2.jpeg
    8F364182-A17D-40C1-98F6-0B66E20F9EF2.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 54

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I had always thought that there was another filler board/cushion to fill the empty spot? Does the shape of the hinged bunk even match the hole? Just looking at that picture, it doesn't appear so. But you'd know better as you can see it in person.

A piece of plywood and some foam cut to shape should do the trick for you. 'Course you can make it nicer, if you wanted to - but it could be as easy as that.

Fishmate

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The upper bunk is permanently mounted. There should be 2 filler cushions for the bottom to make it a tight but usable berth for 2

PaulinSeattle

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Am in the process of purchasing a 232 Gulfstream, and the one I'm purchasing also does not have those filler cushions - anyone have any ideas where after market ones can be purchased?

Reactions: jip40

Canada Joe

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Am in the process of purchasing a 232 Gulfstream, and the one I'm purchasing also does not have those filler cushions - anyone have any ideas where after market ones can be purchased?
If you find out, please let me know. I've hit a stone wall in looking for an answer, other than crafting the infill board myself and having the cushions made up as suggested above.

PaulinSeattle

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Canada Joe - I contacted GW directly, they told me the cushions could be ordered through a GW dealer. I'll ask the dealer I'm working with, Bayside Marine in Everett, WA for a price and let you know what I find out. Where in CA are you located?

Canada Joe

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm in Kelowna, but the boat is on the coast. We have a cottage on Texada Island, opposite Lasqueti Island on Sabine Channel. Do you get up the the frozen north much?
And thanks for your help here, Paul. Please do let me know what you get back from the dealer. My dealer in Parksville just told me to deal with it myself and said that GW didnt have anything for me.

PaulinSeattle

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
We just spent a week in Barkley Sound on the West side of Vancouver, fishing out of our 20' Overnighter - which prompted the move up to the 23 Gulfstream! We are familiar with Texada, we try to get up to Desolation Sound every few years - it's beautiful country for sure up there but I wasn't sure if there were any residences on Texada or if it was all mines and logging. Will let you know what I find out on the cushions. (Great skiing around Kelowna as well!)

Canada Joe

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My brother was just over in Barclay Sound fishing! He had a ton of luck!
There's quite a few homes on Texada, but far fewer than most other islands in the Gulf. We're at Cook Bay opposite Bull Passage. Drop me a note if you're passing by and if I'm there I'll buy you a beer (or a glass of wine). We'll be there a fair amount in July and then again for a bit in September.
I've only had the Gulfstream since last Fall and have only been out on it a few times, but what a dream it is to be on! The boat can certainly handle more than I can, and I've been boating on the West Coast my whole life.
You sound a bit like me...I ski at Big White now 20-30 times a year. When I lived in Vancouver (my whole life up to 2 years ago) I skied at Whistler regularly; had a chalet there for 40+ years.

PaulinSeattle

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yup - Barkley was blast - stayed at Eaglenook Lodge, trailered our boat from Seattle and then ran out to the lodge - we love it, it was our 2nd year in a row. I see where you are on the chart - we always head up Malaspina Strait on the other side of Texada, but if I make it up that way I'll take you up on that beer!
Skied Whistler in April - really good spring skiing. We have a cabin in Leavenworth area and are regulars at Mission Ridge and/or Stevens Pass, made it up to Revelstoke this year for snowmobiling - good times.

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Paul & Joe
Have you found a solution, I might have my old filler cushions(I did new all cushions from a truck sleeper maker) wow= good nights sleep!!
I will check tomorrow, I could at least send pictures and measurements. Look on each side of the "well" you will see a small channel for the two bottom boards WITH the cushions attached.
Jim

Canada Joe

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
If there were a joyous sent or posted, I can’t seem to find them. Is there a particular place I can look for them?

Canada Joe

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Autocorrect sucks! The was meant to say “photos”.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I’d think that you could have those filler cushions made by a boat upholstery shop. I had my local dealer inquire about the bow cushions for a 208. Grady wants $1600. A local sail loft/upholstery shop will do it this winter for half.

PaulinSeattle

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hi Canada Joe - wanted to let you know that I get my cushions redone finally! I had to template them and have a local shop near Seattle make them, but they turned out good - I'm pretty happy. Cost me around $2,000 USD.

Reactions: Peter A

Canada Joe

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sounds like you managed to solve the problem; congratulations!
If you have any photos can you share them when you have a chance? I'll be away without internet for the next 5 weeks, so please don't rush on my behalf.
Thanks, Paul!