Gaff Question!!!

MiMarlin

Reaction score
Can anybody give me some advice?
Fiberglass or metal handle.
6 ft or 8 ft length handle.
difference between 2' 3' or 4' hook size.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
aftco...6' 4 or 5" hook size....forget those fiberglass gaffs,junk...you want the aftco aluminum....

let me add something here...it's called leader length...try not to make leaders longer than the beam of your boat...reason being...when the swivel hits the tip,the fish is what ever length the leader is away from the boat...if you're fishing a 12' leader on a 8' wide boat,you're 4' short when the angler steps to the other side of the boat...using the correct length leader,the fish is right there for you to hit....BANG !!! in the boat !!! :wink:

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Get a big aftco gaff.... long handle, big hook.....

I have had people fishing on boat say "Get a bigger gaff!!!!"
Thats when we break out the big aftco 10" fly gaff.....

but never heard anyone ever say "Were going to need a smaller gaff"

Think about it.....

fishinmission

Reaction score
Gaff Question Aftco

Aftco 5 " or 6" hook size Flying Gaffs work the best . Anything else is to big and doesnt release well when you Gaff the fish(shark). I always rig mine with a 3/8 rope 15' long so when you gaff the fish it doesnt ruin your boat. On most grady's 4' straight gaff's work well and I think with the bigger boats coming on like the 33' and 36' 5' gaffs for tuna up to 100 LBs will work best. Any Questions please feel free to call 631-225-5700 I can show you how to use these gaffs and put a few different ones in your hand to try.

With every one switching to Jerry brown braid line and attaching Basil wind-on leaders you can also get the fish much closer to the boat . That distance will be determined by the length of your single strand wire . The 400lb test leader that is 25' long can be now wound on to your reel. You can now have distance up to 3' with a snap swivel and the 400LB wind on leader.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
It's just one guy's opinion but I do a lot of sharkin' and I would say you need at least one metal stick, two is better (aftco is good, or reliable if they're still around?) and two gaff heads- a 6 inch and a 9 inch. The six inch will probably be sufficient most of the time but you may run into that one monster where it doesn't cut it. My father lost an IGFA estimated 700-900 lbs mako with a 6 inch gaff in it- went out and bought a 9 the next day.

Taking good care of the gaff heads is also critical- make a little cardboard sheath for each one and keep them covered. I would also say to store them separate from the poles so they don't get knocked around the boat. A reverse barb is also good if you can find the type of gaff head that lets you turn around the barb- the reverse barb will set and stay in the mean better. And lastly (sorry for the long post btw)- keep the heads razor sharp. You can use one of those mobile knife sharpening guys if you have one near you, and make sure they get re-sharpened every year and after every time you land a fish!

...oh and i almost forgot- as far as the line connected to the gaff head- i would suggest rigging up three feet of stranded cable connected to a section of rope via knuckle- don't want the Man in the Blue Suit to turn around and bite through!! :shock:

Reaction score
Sorry MiMarlin, I don't mean to highjack your thread, but it seems like all the sizes recommended are for sharks and really big fish. What size gaffs would you use for fish like King Mackerel, Wahoo, and dolphin?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 2 aftcos which are 6'. One has a 3" hook for kings and smaller fish. The other has a 4" hook for large tuna and wahoo.

I also have a 4' gaff with a small (2" ?) hook for snake kings.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Inshore we use a 6' aftco with a 3" hook, offshore it is a 6' aftco with a 4 or 5" hook, we carry one of each. We also carry atleast one flying gaff, usually with a 6" hook, but I agree carrying a larger hook would be advised. We also carry a harpoon, most guys I know like to stick a fish with a poon instead of a flying gaff, it really is a personal pref and everyone is different. Depending on the type of fish, size and conditions, we will choose between the flying gaff or harpoon on a big fish. The poon and flying gaff are always rigged and ready to go, but stored out of the way.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
We carry a varity of 6 and 3 inch Gaffs, Aftco and Sea Striker. I was also just given a couple of 5" head Xtools to trial this year. Always carry more than one.

On the leaders, I'll echo Jimmy's comments. We use what most would consider very short leaders, never more than 72 inches. On a 8 to 9 foot beam boat (give or take a few inches) there is not much backing up room. Hopefully you have multiple hookups! We want the angler to be able to take a few steps forward and by keeping the rod tip at about 45 degrees, the Tuna is right at the side of the boat, well within gaff range.