Galvanic Corrosion???

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I am planning to mount my fire extinguisher to my t-top frame. i want a firm solid mount without drilling. i am thinking of something like the pic (i know the bar is painted in the pic). would there be any issues with stainless hose clamps on the aluminum t-top frame?

Mount.JPG

HMBJack

Reaction score
would there be any issues with stainless hose clamps on the aluminum t-top frame? - eventually yes.

Can make a nice rubber insulator from an old bike tire tube. If cut right, you won't even know it's there.

Reactions: DogBone and Ekea

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I can't quite visualize where this is on the boat. Don't be offended but I think it looks like a real hack job. The fire extinguisher is mounted to the removable bracket? The mate for the bracket is mounted to the aluminum tubing? All of of this is exposed to the sun and salt water?

The clamps should be insulated from the tubing otherwise they will scratch it and you don't want stainless in contact with aluminum. Ancor has a rubber insulated stainless clamp. Would look better than a hose clamp. Not sure what to do around the extinguisher.

Mine is mounted at the helm, lower right outboard side. Bracket came with the extinguisher.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I can't quite visualize where this is on the boat. Don't be offended but I think it looks like a real hack job. The fire extinguisher is mounted to the removable bracket? The mate for the bracket is mounted to the aluminum tubing? All of of this is exposed to the sun and salt water?

The clamps should be insulated from the tubing otherwise they will scratch it and you don't want stainless in contact with aluminum. Ancor has a rubber insulated stainless clamp. Would look better than a hose clamp. Not sure what to do around the extinguisher.

Mine is mounted at the helm, lower right outboard side. Bracket came with the extinguisher.
so that is a pic from the website. its actually a mount for a rollbar for a jeep. i would mount it in the spot in the pic below. the extinguisher is mounted to the bracket as you mentioned which is a pull pin quick release to get it off the mounting base.

Mount 2.JPG

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That is a lot more access then I need! You have a different cockpit layout than mine. Maybe some of the other CC owners will comment.

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Two cautions.
1.) It looks cool up there but: if your bracket were to crack, twist, fail etc. and let the extinguisher fall someone might be hurt badly. Think what things might be like during harsh smacks against waves, rough seas etc. It could also fall at one of the worst possible times. I wouldn’t advise that. Most brackets are just plastic. Aluminum without some very costly salt protective treatment won’t last long if exposed to salt. Such a bracket could deteriorate and not be noticed.
2. I’d caution against using “worm gear clamps” (as in your pics), especially if they are longer than needed. They often have very sharp band ends. In a boat I don’t like pointed things or sharp things where anyone might get poked or cut. I have industrial customers who won’t allow ANY worm gear clamps in the plant.

Reactions: Ekea

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
And, the reason most of us have probably never seen a horizontal fire extinguisher, unless it was DIY, and especially on a moving vehicle, is that the powder will pack the nozzle, and you may have a misfire at the worst possible time.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ekea, you don't know it yet, but you don't want to do that. If you do do that, then the day will come when you will say, "I don't know why I didn't listen to those guys".

Fishtales

Reaction score
Don't use dissimilar metals of you will get what you fear... I'd look for phenolic or plastic mount idea. You could always put rubber between the different metals if you really want to do it.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
And, the reason most of us have probably never seen a horizontal fire extinguisher, unless it was DIY, and especially on a moving vehicle, is that the powder will pack the nozzle, and you may have a misfire at the worst possible time.
this is a very good point. thanks for the input