Galvanic Isolator replacement

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
This may be a spring project.
The original (under the gunnel) may or may not work but it is not the "FailSafe" type they make now. It is also in the way of me installing another swivel rodholder.
I never use shore power except sometimes I'll plug in the charger if I haven't been able to run the boat for weeks... I just use and extension cord direct to the charger instead of the 30A Shore power cable/setup.
Of course, usin an extension cord bypasses the Isolator anyways.
I don't have a fridge or microwave anymore. So the only reason to worry about Shore power and an Isolator is for the ability to always connect the charger.

The only brand of "Fail safe" Isolator out there seems to be ProMariner
Best price seems to be $230 at Hodges ProSafe FS30

Installation will have to be in a different place. Much wider footprint and needs to be DRY! I would put it in the cabin near the AC panel.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 2.55.19 PM.png

Last edited:

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I did same after eliminating all ac on the boat. Pulled the old one out from under gunnel and put the promariner high up in the battery compartment on port side. Eliminated the twist lock plug on starboard side and put standard covered male input recessed under port gunnel. I have the pronautic 30/3 bank which is supposed to desulfate if you believe that really works, so I leave mine plugged in when on the lift. Having seen what the wiring of my dock looks like and its a good one compared to some others on the canal I do worry about stray voltage and galvanic corrosion.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
I too am wanting to do this project. Location in the cabin doesn't seem to ideal for my shoreline setup thought. Let us know where you end up placing it!