Garmin 4208 Connector Issue

greggo

Reaction score
I own a Garmin 4208, the male threaded power connection on the rear of the unit cracked (the male connection extends from the back of the unit). The female power connection does not stay attahed to the unit an the power turns off (when in heavy seas). I contacted Garmin and my unit is "one month out of warranty," so if I want Garmin to fix the broken piece of plastic (less that $2.00 piece of plastic) I would have to pay the standard $600.00 service fee and they would send me a new unit. I don't want a new unit, I want the current unit I own with the priceless saved waypoints, I have saved within. Does any one have an idea, that would save me Six Hundered Dollars for an inexpensive "piece of plastic," connector?

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Cant help you with the plastic but Im guessing that you can download all of youre info to an sd card or memory stick that goes in the unit. Check with Garmin for details

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you can download all user data to an sd and save it in homeport (or just leave it on the sd or copy to pc as files). you should be doing this on a regular basis anyway.

as for the fix, you could try to rig a "clamp" type setup to hold the plug into the mfd. off the top of my head; a couple small strips of 3m plastic interlock on the back of the mfd and something to hold compression on the plug end and attach to the interlock strips. the 3m interlock is very strong, i use it to hold fire extinguishers to the bulkheads.

you will loose water resistance when you do anything other than a correct repair. if your mfd is protected, might be worth a low cost shot.

good luck, ron

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Exact same issue with mine, fortunately it was still within warranty. Being the fix it guy I am, I would try to take the case apart and fix it myself.(some soldering would be necessary) You could probably take it to to an electronic repair guru and see if he could do it. You would need to obtain the new connector from Garmin. I wouldn't pay the 600.

greggo

Reaction score
Thank You,
For your answers to the problem. I think I will rig the power connection with an inexpensive electrical connector set of plugs, then shrink wrap the entire connection. After each season, I will remove the entire fix and re-do each spring. It's amazing that Garmin would not stand by their product and replace the simple "head connection" piece of plastic.

Thanks Again

24' Grady OffShore Pro still catching the fish......

Remember: "10% of the Fishermen catch 90% of the Fish, and I'm in the upper portion of that 10%."