Garmin 4212 versus 5212 - I'd appreciate your advice

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I'm finally at the point where I need to make a decision on electronics for my new boat and keep tossing a coin between the Garmin 4212 and Garmin 5212. Although the 6212 and 7212 look great, they really don't seem to be worth the extra money (especially since I can reinvest it in additional electronics like XM Weather).

I'd appreciate any and all perspectives on going the touch screen versus the non-touch screen route. I've heard pros and cons about the touch screen and would like to do this right the first time.

I've already decided on Garmin given that I have had great experience with their electronics in the past (and I don't fish, and am not trying to see birds at 100 miles). For me I like their intuitive user interface and customer service.

In addition to using the 4212 or 5212 for GPS, I'll have an 18" radome, depthfinder, and XM Weather as well as an interface to the Yamaha Command Link (so that I can see the engine gauges on the Garmin).

Thanks for the help on this.

Ken

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i was originally going to go with 2 4212's last year. i was concerned that the anti glare on the 5212 would wear off (like my 2010c). well, i spoke with a rep at a boat show and he said the anti glare is between the screens. you touch clean glass. i told him that they should stress that in the marketing since it is really not clear anywhere.

the 4212 is a larger foot print than the 5212, which winds up giving a less "tight" looking install. i used the 5212's all of last year and really liked them. i also bought a remote, but pretty much only use it sitting around at the dock practicing (while lounging on a helm seat ). :)

if it were me, i would still do the 5212 since the new 7xxx is about $2k, or so, more (each). you can buy a lot more than a gxm51 with that money.

if you have any specific questions, just ask. ron

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When i was looking, i looked at both units and end up getting the 4212's for the reason that i thought that every time i touch the screen would leave marks, but i heard that's not the case. I'm happy with the 4212's but the 5212 DOES look better with less buttons.

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the 5212 and the touch screen interface is fantastic.
Totally intuitive .