Garmin 741XS?

gradywhite248

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 741XS I installed a few years back on a NEMA 2000 network. I left room to install another in the future to run charts on one and fish finder on the other. My question is what is the new unit that would look the same or close to the same as a touch screen unit from Garmin. The 741XS has been discontinued i could look for one on the used market but thinking a newer unit would be better.
Thoughts?

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Check out the 742xs. It should be the same exact thing but updated version.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yup and if you don't need to have radar or NEMA 2000 on both you units you could save money and get a Garmin 7" Echomap unit. It looks the same but has charts/and or sonar but doen't do Radar or NEMA network (last I checked). I have the 741xs too. then a 7" Garmin Striker next to it. But the Striker doesn't have touch screen so it looks a bit different. Its sonar only and kicks the 741xs butt with it's sonar capabilities. I have a transducer for each.

Last edited:

RhodeI

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I just bought a 7607 which has the same body and screen as the 742xs, to have 2 screens on my network. Check out gpscity on ebay $580 new. I am doing a side by side flush mount on my 208.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yup and if you don't need to have radar or NEMA 2000 on both you units you could save money and get a Garmin 7" Echomap unit. It looks the same but has charts/and or sonar but doen't do Radar or NEMA network (last I checked). I have the 741xs too. then a 7" Garmin Striker next to it. But the Striker doesn't have touch screen so it looks a bit different. Its sonar only and kicks the 741xs butt with it's sonar capabilities. I have a transducer for each.
Echo series has NEMA2k but does not have Garmin Marine Network(ethernet ports) so it cannot run radars or blackbox sonars (the newer ones have a port to run Panoptics)

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It looks like they have a few refurbished units of the 741xs still floating around out there. And there's even a local place to me that says they still have it in stock. Whether that's actually true or not, I'm not sure and it seems odd that they would on an older unit but it might be worth a phone call. That being said, they have it listed for $1,399 and that's $300 more than a brand new 743xsv would cost you. Just depends on if you want the same identical unit or just something similar looking, if you want some new(er) features as well and how much you want to spend. For buying new or newer, there's a couple of different options. There's the relatively new 743xsv that just came out pretty recently in the past oh year or so? It's slightly different looking but still somewhat similar. That or some slightly older models would be the 742xs Plus, the 7407/7607xsv series and so on.

Last edited: