Garmin BlueChart g2 Vision Texas Gulf of Mexico VUS515L

1998GradyLady

Reaction score
Hello everyone...

Having a little technical difficulties and was hoping maybe someone could help me out. I recently purchased the Garmin BlueChart g2 Vision Texas Gulf of Mexico VUS515L and have been really disappointed. Apparently it has a "google maps" type feature but I noticed the zoom is very pixilated and unclear. We can hardly see anything. Also the bottom of the ocean surface is not reading like it does in the image I posted below. I just get a flat surface and I know the area is not flat. There are depth changes and the GPS does not register that.

I cannot tell if I am not doing something right or if the equipment is faulty. My questions are...

1.) Is there a manual available with this software? I did not receive one.

2.) Does anyone else in the gulf coast area have this chip?? If so, are you happy with it??

We approached the Garmin rep at the boat show and he took our chip and placed it in their demo equipment and he got the exact same images as we did at home. He said the zoom was supposed to be pixilated at that zoom level and that the reason for the "flat" depth reading was because the Guld coast area is flat. He said if we were in a rocky ocean floor area (like Hawaii) then you would see all the peaks, etc like the image I attached. Sandbars and depth changes would not register.

We feel mislead by the images used for the advertisement of this chip. Then again, we are very new at this. Can anyone advise??

Thanks!
98GL

gpskr.jpg
[/img]