Garmin Digital Radar

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Yall:
I have a Garmin 4208 with Garmins digital network. I have the GDS 22 digital sounder and was at West Marine and noticed an entry level digital 4 Kw radar by Garmin for $999. It has a 36 nm range and detects weather as well as surface contacts. I am intrigued about the unit for my boat. I really like the weather side of it a lot.

I am wondering for somebody who gets off shore a few times a year, spends time in inland rivers more so if this radar would be a good buy? It is their entry level raydome and it is compact and would easily fit atop my hardtop.

Does anyone out there in Grady land have Garmin radar units and what is your take on them?

Thanks.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
I have the 18HD unit and overall it is a good value. I have one issue that I'm working on. Close in it will sometimes not show small objects like channel or day markers. It's probably a user issue and I have been told I need to manually adjust the gain which I will try.

However, I think Garmin is behind Raymarine and others in that Raymarine has a Harbor mode which automatically adjusts the gain for this use. Raymarine also has cruising and offshore modes. Garmin does not offer any modes except cruising and sentry on any of their radomes. You have to move up to a xHD array before you get this option. Hopefully Garmin will add this feature in future versions.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Capt Ed. I do not have my boat in saltwater enough to justify the switch to Raymarine for radar, so Garmin it will have to be. The model of the unit is the one you have. I will consider it.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob, I have the GMR18HD as well, and have been happy with it. Even while in the outer Bahamas last year, it proved it's worth. There are some areas where you don't receive XM weather, and the radar showed me the rain storms and the movements very accurately. I bought it for safety while running in the dark and for weather. Picking out birds at long distance is not the realm of these lower-end units. I knew that going in and was willing to accept it.