Garmin EULA

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Everytime we turn on the Garmin (942xs) either from the ACC switch or the device's power button, the EULA screen displays and needs the "I Agree" button pressed. The word on the street is that Garmin claims after the device has run for a few minutes, the screen will not be displayed. Not so. The boat is new (208 adventure) with 12 hours of use.

Anyone know how to disable or circumvent this small but annoying PITA ?

thx
-w

seasick

Reaction score
Mine never goes away unless I agree to accept. Same for my Lowrance plotters. If this is your most annoying feature on your boat, count your blessings:)

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Actually, I misspoke, not EULA but a warning about hazzards unseen etc.

Sure, I accept every time and it goes away until next power up. But why the need?

True, minor hurdle, but still would like to get NO aggravation upon stepping aboard.

seasick

Reaction score
It's all legal mumbo jumbo to limit company's liability should you sail off the end of the flat earth when using the plotter. You can't effective argue in court that you were not aware that maps or directions may be incorrect since you can't use them until you acknowledge that you agree that information could be incorrect.

Reactions: w&w

w&w

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yeah, understand the reason why, after all, we are a litigious society.

But once should be plenty to indemnify Garmin.

But enough of the small talk, I would really like to know how to obliterate it.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score

Take a hammer and smash the 942xs into pieces and the problem will be solved. You will have obliterated it. Some attorney somewhere decided it must do that.

I think Seasick is partially right, but my guess is instead of sailing off the flat earth edge , which could happen especially where I boat , which is in the Bermuda Triangle, chart data can be wrong because after all it's the ocean, and suppose you get in an accident and your plotter says bottom depth is 6 feet on the chart and you race on through, ignoring your depth sounder , and you rely on the chart itself , and you cause a maritime disater as big as the Titanic , well you can't blame it on Garmin for why it happened. Oh, my plotter didn't have that jetty on it.

I guess maritime law requires Garmin to say, hey this is a cool aid to navigation ,do you accept it's risks.

On the other hand, look at this way, Garmin is challenging you do to fun dumb stuff and by hitting accept Everytime you go out, Garmin is suggesting go have fun, take on the risks we just pointed out, be a man,be Captain Ron and go explore ! When I hit accept I think, yep I am doing it!

seasick

Reaction score

Carry a paper map and don't use the plotter:)

Gotta take the good with the bad.

seasick

Reaction score
Hmmm. Same Garmin on my Adventure, similar behavior noted. Except the notice DOES just go away without any intervention on my part. I assume you're running the most current software?
What model Garmin. My older Garmin does not go away. Neither does my older and newer Lowrance. Honestly, I just don't see it as such a big deal.