Garmin GSF 10?

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Im going to call Garmin tomorrow but thought you guy might be able to help today? the Garmin install instructions are ok for installing one thing but when you start adding it gets a little confusing? If I hook up the GSF 10 to a Nmea 2000 back bone that has power do i have to hook up the Power wires for the GSF 10? unfortunately the power wire and fuse holder are right by an in the same harness as the wires Im running to the Fuel probe on the fuel tank

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The GSF 10 has to have its own power supply. The power to your NMEA network is separate, similar to most other devices on the network. See the wiring diagram in the install manual for details if you want to connect it to the tank sensor which can also provide the power needed.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
wspitler said:
The GSF 10 has to have its own power supply. The power to your NMEA network is separate, similar to most other devices on the network. See the wiring diagram in the install manual for details if you want to connect it to the tank sensor which can also provide the power needed.

Thanks the power for the GSF 10 has to be hooked up. I have run the wires as I mention to the sending unit. would this be correct or should i pull up to the gauge and hook up? how would i get power at the sensor? only have the center connection and ground wire on the sending unit.....

seasick

Reaction score
The GSF10 is a fuel flow sensor. It can connect to the tank sender to interface to a fuel gauge. Power at the sender is not needed but you do need power to the GSF
Here is a link to the manual
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GFS_1 ... _Multi.pdf
If you don't need tank level on your plotter display, you don't have to connect to the sender but doing so may be desirable. You can make connections at the fuel gauge, You don't need to run wires to the sender as I understand the documentation.

seasick

Reaction score
gradywhite248 said:
seasick said:
The GSF10 is a fuel flow sensor. It can connect to the tank sender to interface to a fuel gauge. Power at the sender is not needed but you do need power to eh GSF

Yep has an option to display on the Nmea 2000 hooked to the Garmin 741XS.

Yes, what I meant to convey is that the signal can be picked up at the gauge in the helm. He doesn't need to run wires to the tank sender

gradywhite248

Reaction score
seasick said:
The GSF10 is a fuel flow sensor. It can connect to the tank sender to interface to a fuel gauge. Power at the sender is not needed but you do need power to the GSF
If you don't need tank level on your plotter display, you don't have to connect to the sender but doing so may be desirable. You can make connections at the fuel gauge, You don't need to run wires to the sender as I understand the documentation.

Seasick, I have all hooked up now but the optional fuel qty. I have the wires for the qty now pulled up to the back of the Yamaha gauge. I know my looking at the GSF 10 install print the black/white wire goes to the ground, the gray to the ignition and the brown to the fuel sensor. My question is since the original wires on the gauge are not labeled what are the the correct one to hook the above wires to? I cant find any Yamaha gauge diagrams on the web with the wires labeled with colors? :uhm

seasick

Reaction score
gradywhite248 said:
seasick said:

Seasick, I have all hooked up now but the optional fuel qty. I have the wires for the qty now pulled up to the back of the Yamaha gauge. I know my looking at the GSF 10 install print the black/white wire goes to the ground, the gray to the ignition and the brown to the fuel sensor. My question is since the original wires on the gauge are not labeled what are the the correct one to hook the above wires to? I cant find any Yamaha gauge diagrams on the web with the wires labeled with colors? :uhm

If you have connected the sensor to a good ground and the ignition , you only need (I think:)) to connect the sender signal wire. That wire is pink I think at the sender, I can never remember. I have been looking at a late model rigging guide and must admit, I am confused as to what the lead it is on the gauge. If you have multiple all different colors and each with a pin connector, the fuel sender is NOT the Red, Yellow, Blue, Green or Black. If there is another color that is probably the fuel sender wire.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Well hooked the red to power. Black and white to ground. And the brown to the pink wire on the back of the gauge? Seems to be working. Not sure what the gray wire for ignition is for? Or where it goes?

seasick

Reaction score
gradywhite248 said:
Well hooked the red to power. Black and white to ground. And the brown to the pink wire on the back of the gauge? Seems to be working. Not sure what the gray wire for ignition is for? Or where it goes?

According to another forum and based on how I interpret Garmin's instructions, it appears that the gray wire is power from the GSF to a separate fuel level gauge. In other words, if you have a separate fuel meter, instead of getting power from the bus bar or fuse panel, you need to power it from the GSF. That makes me wonder if your current Yami combo gauge will read the correct level.
I guess you will know next time you gas up.
Let us know what you find out.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
seasick said:
gradywhite248 said:

According to another forum and based on how I interpret Garmin's instructions, it appears that the gray wire is power from the GSF to a separate fuel level gauge. In other words, if you have a separate fuel meter, instead of getting power from the bus bar or fuse panel, you need to power it from the GSF. That makes me wonder if your current Yami combo gauge will read the correct level.
I guess you will know next time you gas up.
Let us know what you find out.

Spoke to Garmin today. Basically the gray wire as mentioned in the prints goes to the ignition / power part on the gauges. Basically the GFS 10 is not powered like the Yamaha gauges until you turn on the key? The red wire powers the traducer for fuel flow and the gray powers the fuel quantity side? So now I can research what color the power/ignition/key power to the gauge wire is thanks for the help.............

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Great info here, I'm into the exact same project.

Why does the grey wire need to go to ignition power only when wiring to the back of the dashboard fuel gauge and NOT when wiring directly to the fuel tank fuel sender?

The last sentence in the second bullet point on page 3 of the Garmin GFS 10 fuel sensor instructions reads "Leave the grey wire unconnected".

I understand this section talks of not having a gauge but why doesn't the GFS need grey wire power here too....

I'll have to call Garmin.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Another Distraction said:
Great info here, I'm into the exact same project.

Why does the grey wire need to go to ignition power only when wiring to the back of the dashboard fuel gauge and NOT when wiring directly to the fuel tank fuel sender?

The last sentence in the second bullet point on page 3 of the Garmin GFS 10 fuel sensor instructions reads "Leave the grey wire unconnected".

I understand this section talks of not having a gauge but why doesn't the GFS need grey wire power here too....

I'll have to call Garmin.

Good luck.
I have yet to test mine? Guess I will find out this spring unless I pull the sensor out of the tank and move the float by hand? Not real Sure that it is going to work correctly? Garmin needs to pick this up and help?

Another Distraction

Reaction score
So true. I called them today and he said he wasn't an engineer and he was sure the directions were correct. O well, life goes on.

Warboat

Reaction score
Re: Garmin GFS 10?

I have just completed the install of the Garmin GFS 10 Fuel Sensor on my 2005 209 Escape and am exactly where this tread leaves off. "Where does the Grey wire go, and is it even necessary when hooking up to receive the fuel gauge data. I have connected the Brown wire to a Pink/White pigtail connection behind the fuel gauge which I believe to be the fuel sensor connection. This is a Yamaha Speed/Fuel gauge. All of the manual input data is being received and transferred from the GFS 10 to the CPlotter as it is suppose to, but I can't get the live fuel tank level info to transfer/sink with the chart plotter. Any feedback on this install would be appreciated!! Much.

Warboat

Reaction score
Thanks, that makes sense.
Question perhaps you may be familiar with - In the wire bundle behind the speed and tachometer gauges, there is pink and a white wire coming together into a female bullet connector that is left open. Do you know if this is a fuel sensor connection point? Again, this is 2005 Escape w/Yam gauges.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Warboat Just saw your question, sorry for the delay. InternationalMarineB is correct above. My install was on a 2000 248. Unit works great. I have the GSF feeding my dual Garmin 741XS's only issue is I have to hit a button to set all tanks to full when I top off. I actual set mine to 5 gallon on the good side. after topping off about 10 times now the GSF10 and Garmin work great. Down to less than 1 gallon when filling up. Great to know how much fuel is on board and the fuel flow needle is pretty cool to watch at different power settings.