Garmin InReach Mini vs SE+

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I want to get a satellite 2 -way text device for our offshore trips and for "change of plans" messages to the "boss".
The Garmin seem to fit the bill. I especially like that you can pay monthly and turn off during the off season.

I see that SE+ is getting discounted lately but Mini is not and so SE+ ends up about $50-$70 cheaper even though it has more features and battery life.
I don't really need a lot of features but I'm cheap....hence my dilemma...
My experience with Garmin is nobody discounts unless it is being superseded by a new model.

Anyone with experience with either?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Guess no one has either one?
Reviews for both are excellent on hiking and hunting sites.

Just ordered the SE+ from costco $289
I'll get the minimum plan for $15 a month for the 6 month season.

johnsonericm

Reaction score
I have the mini. I use it for backpacking as well. The texting is easy using a smart phone and it is tiny. The GPS does work well. I think the SE+ could be useful for overland GPS purposes w/o needing a phone. Guessing you have a chartplotter already though. IMHO if you mostly just want the texting and emergency functions the Mini is great. There is a marine package version with a mount and 12v electricity setup which I use.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Used it yesterday. We overnighted on an inshore wreck and then went 60miles looking for tuna in the am. Found thousand humpback whales feeding on sand eels but no tuna.
The InReach worked perfectly. Just using it as a "we're here and ok" or "we changed our destination" "Staying out late" kind of messages to wives/bosses.
The ability to communicate change of plans when offshore is worth the price.

Reactions: vinpaa

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have the in-reach SE+ and really like it. Costco had it on sale for low $200's when I bought it a couple months back. Very functional, especially with a phone. I really liked the idea of the additional buttons for easier screen navigation if not using a cell phone.