Garmin software update - so worth it

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I just got back from my electronics guy, they did some neat stuff:

- 2nd stationary VHF radio under the hardtop so you can get at it while fishing (and 100% redundant for those tuna runs)
- Man overboard kill switch (neat!)
- networking the Yamaha/Garmin CL7 with the other two displays, now everything can be displayed anywhere
- software upgrade that gives you maps that let you see the bottom, it's so good it feels like cheating, so easy to see where the fish will be

Get that upgrade if you have Garmins!

The first picture is outside of Santa Cruz, that's the big canyon (you east coast people will be so jealous, I can be in 3000 feet of water in 10 minutes).

In the secondb picture, they said go up that smooth channel between the rocks, it will hold halibut. Gonna try that.2020-11-17-11.15.41.jpg

2020-11-17-11.16.31.jpg

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Someone on Coastside, my local fishing forum, asked for pics of the rest of the stuff, here ya go.

The last pic shows all my electronics, well the displays. Garmin 942xs in the port cuddy,
Garmin 7607 aka Yamaha CL7 and Garmin 8610xsv on the dash with the radio. All networked such that any of them can be the yamaha engine stuff and/or any of them can do charts, sonar, radar. I love that, Yamaha and Garmin did a really nice job, the yamaha stuff is on the home page as just another app like charts or whatever. And when you aren't in the Yamaha app they still display the engine info next to your maps. I typically run with the 7607 as my charts and the 8610 as the fish finder. The exception is when I'm using radar, then I flip those two.
Anyone know if that Standard Horizon mic is water proof? Or do I need to figure out a little "hood" for it to keep the rain out? Either way, I'm super pleased with how this all turned out. Redundant for when I work up the courage to do tuna runs and easy access for when I want to brag about my HUUUGE 23 inch Ling :)

2020-11-17-12.32.33.jpg2020-11-17-12.32.47.jpg2020-11-17-12.33.18.jpg

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
To answer my own question about is the mic on my radio waterproof:

Standard Horizon gx1850gb claims IPX-8 rating. I looked that up and apparently that's good for 30 minutes under water. Seems like my sandwich bag over the mic wasn't needed.

Pretty cool if they are that waterproof.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Just a note about the kill switches. They work but are not as awesome as they seem since a loss of power means the boat will lose steerage (not good in rough water). It’s very difficult to swim to a drifting boat in any type of wind and/or swell in the open ocean (tested that with crew on the boat many times). I’d choose to have crew that can operate the vessel and get close enough to throw a line to someone in the water. If going solo or with untrained crew in rough water I’d consider tying off short enough to where it’s very difficult to fall overboard.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Just a note about the kill switches. They work but are not as awesome as they seem since a loss of power means the boat will lose steerage (not good in rough water). It’s very difficult to swim to a drifting boat in any type of wind and/or swell in the open ocean (tested that with crew on the boat many times). I’d choose to have crew that can operate the vessel and get close enough to throw a line to someone in the water. If going solo or with untrained crew in rough water I’d consider tying off short enough to where it’s very difficult to fall overboard.

The Fell MOB shuts things off for 6 seconds. After that the engine can be restarted.

And so far as I know, my steering is hydraulic (Seasteer) but I don't think it is power assist (if it is, it's broken because boat takes some effort to steer). I've got a 2020 228.

Your advice on crew is welcome. I usually fish with my younger son and I need to take him out and get him to drive, he's been reluctant to do so but I'll get past that. I have both a throw ring and a throw bag on the boat (though usually in the cuddy cabin, I need to figure out a home for them where they are easily grabbed. The throw bag is easy, I hang on one of the rod holders on the hard top. The throw ring tends to get in the way. Maybe try and hang it off the back of a chair. If anyone has a setup they like, please share.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Is the floor data from the real time sonar mapping or software? Do you have side scan with that unit?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Is the floor data from the real time sonar mapping or software? Do you have side scan with that unit?

I do have sidevu (that's what Garmin calls it), I can post the list of stuff I have if you want.

I believe the floor data is from software, not real time sonar. So that begs the question of how accurate is it? If it is accurate then it should be a game changer. I have some gizmo that is supposed to make the GPS more accurate so the radar is accurate, maybe that will help. What the heck, here's the list of stuff:

Garmin 8610xsv - 10" that does sidevu, this is the main display, used as fish finder
most of the time, except in fog, then I use it for charts and radar.
Garmin 942xs - Backup charts/fishing finder. Not side vu capable. Mounted
in the port side overhead cubby, visible from the cockpit so
fish finder most of the time.
Garmin 7607 aka Yamaha CL7 - the engine controls are digital, the info coming
back is digital, so Yamaha used a 7 inch Garmin with the Yamaha
app on it showing RPM, fuel, battery voltage, etc. You swipe
it and boom! it is a regular Garmin. When you are using it
to navigate, they put the engine info in a 3/4" column on the
right side, they did a nice job. So I have 3 displays, networked
via NEMA-2000 and ethernet, so any display can show any info.
I use it for charts 99% of the time.
TM185HW - high power down viewing Airmar transducer, fish finder
GT30-TM - high power side viewing Garmin transducer, bait ball finder
Garmin Fantom 18 Radar
Steadycast Heading Sensor (for the radar, makes it more accurate)
GA38 GPS Antenna (I think for the steadycast)
AIS800 - AIS transponder because I fish in shipping channels, I see them,
they see me.
GX1850G - Standard Horizon VHF, picked because I use their handhelds
VHF antenna & mount
2x Standard Horizon VHF hand helds
PLB1 Personal locator beacon

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
If from the software the soundings can be quite old. Still worth it as you can compare small areas real time with the data. In my area the soundings are circa 1986 even with new charts. Still it is good to see the data. I don't have the sidevu my stuff is 10+ years old technology. I'd like to upgrade at some point to the newer technology. As you say getting the Yamaha data is much easier today than it was in the past. The older gen equipment had the capability but you have to tie them in physically. I believe you still require the heading sensor to overlay the radar on the chart, that is a nice feature for sure.
Very nice list of stuff. The dual MFD is the way to go. Redundancy and the capability to look at more things simultaneously. One tip is when it is time to update the batteries in the PLB, you will likely be amazed at the high percentage of a new unit that this costs. I've changed mine using nickel strips and batteries (heat shrink and solder the wires as the manufacturer does). Just need to be quick with the iron and ensure the polarity is correct. If you do yourself you can do it on the cheap. Some youtube videos avail to see how it is done.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
You have no idea how many people I have told about your signature. It is spot on. I've got a friend who has a plane, I could buy 3 of those for what I have in my boat. And you know what? I'm fine with that. Took me a while to be OK, I grew up without a lot of money.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Same here. It is one of the best things to do with family and friends but you have to have the jing and be willing to fork it over. In the NE the season is very short so I try to do a couple of things each season proactively to stay ahead. You gotta pay to play.

When the boats are new to less than 7 years or so, you basically maintain well and make sure everything is done properly. After that you have to be proactive.
This year for instance: New anchor line and chain, recovering all bolsters, aft and side seat and going to have the transom bang plate and stupid plastic screwed pieces pulled and glass it all.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If you add garmin network cables(ethernet) between the mfds you can share sonar and radar

Edit: oops nevermind, I see you did that...

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
If you add garmin network cables(ethernet) between the mfds you can share sonar and radar

Edit: oops nevermind, I see you did that...

Yeah, it's really slick, everything sees everything. I have to lose 3 displays at the same time to come home blind. Given that it is all new, I think this stuff will outlast me.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
If from the software the soundings can be quite old.
Very nice list of stuff. The dual MFD is the way to go.
One tip is when it is time to update the batteries in the PLB, you will likely be amazed at the high percentage of a new unit that this costs.

So the Garmin stuff was released in June of this year. My dealer said it was some combination of data from a bunch of different sources.
I'm hopeful it will be helpful, when I saw it on my display, that has my bread crumbs from previous trips, we could see where I fished and at one place the dealer said "I bet you didn't get much fish there" and he was right. And you could see looking at the bottom why. It really feels like you can actually see way more detail about structure.

What I haven't figured out yet is how to tell mud from sand. I want to put some crab pots out and I'm new to that, 1st year, I've been told crabs like mud. Any ideas?

Yeah, on dual MFD though it is really 3: 7607, 942, and 8610. I use that Yamaha display as my chart plotter almost 100%. The exception is when running in fog, then I use the big display for charts and radar.

And I'm personally really going to enjoy that second VHF radio in the cockpit. I know people out on the water, and learn new people each trip. We're fairly chatty out there so it's really nice to be able to reach up and say "Big ling!" without going to the helm. And it's safer to have two. I like safe.

I'm not entirely sold on the PLB, when it goes I may upgrade. But if I don't get my feet problems under control I think that I'll not be fishing before that PLB goes south. So maybe not to worry.

The thing I want to do next is

A) Figure out the AIS stuff, that doesn't show up on my charts so far as I know and I think it is supposed to.
B) Find some bright yellow inflatable PFDs, I watched some youtube video of coast guard rescues and yellow is easier to spot.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
A) Figure out the AIS stuff, that doesn't show up on my charts so far as I know and I think it is supposed to.
B) Find some bright yellow inflatable PFDs, I watched some youtube video of coast guard rescues and yellow is easier to spot.
Check your "Other Vessel" settings.
You should be seeing red/green triangles that point in the direction the other vessel is moving and you should see the name of the other vessels.
You can also get crossing/collision alarms based on your settngs.
My biggest problem is that my alarms go of when I start the boat because there are multiple commercial vessels near my dock. So I turn off the alarm and then turn it back on (if I remember) when I clear the inlet in the dark.

All the inflatables I've ever owned were yellow(when deployed).

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I do have sidevu (that's what Garmin calls it), I can post the list of stuff I have if you want.

I believe the floor data is from software, not real time sonar. So that begs the question of how accurate is it? If it is accurate then it should be a game changer. I have some gizmo that is supposed to make the GPS more accurate so the radar is accurate, maybe that will help. What the heck, here's the list of stuff:

Garmin 8610xsv - 10" that does sidevu, this is the main display, used as fish finder
most of the time, except in fog, then I use it for charts and radar.
Garmin 942xs - Backup charts/fishing finder. Not side vu capable. Mounted
in the port side overhead cubby, visible from the cockpit so
fish finder most of the time.
Garmin 7607 aka Yamaha CL7 - the engine controls are digital, the info coming
back is digital, so Yamaha used a 7 inch Garmin with the Yamaha
app on it showing RPM, fuel, battery voltage, etc. You swipe
it and boom! it is a regular Garmin. When you are using it
to navigate, they put the engine info in a 3/4" column on the
right side, they did a nice job. So I have 3 displays, networked
via NEMA-2000 and ethernet, so any display can show any info.
I use it for charts 99% of the time.
TM185HW - high power down viewing Airmar transducer, fish finder
GT30-TM - high power side viewing Garmin transducer, bait ball finder
Garmin Fantom 18 Radar
Steadycast Heading Sensor (for the radar, makes it more accurate)
GA38 GPS Antenna (I think for the steadycast)
AIS800 - AIS transponder because I fish in shipping channels, I see them,
they see me.
GX1850G - Standard Horizon VHF, picked because I use their handhelds
VHF antenna & mount
2x Standard Horizon VHF hand helds
PLB1 Personal locator beacon
I am waiting on a new 228 that I ordered and working on setting up the electronics. I'm leaning towards the 943xs and a second 943 to split the radar and GPS/sonar. Am I reading correctly that the CL7 that comes with the boat can actually show the radar or GPS when linked together?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I am waiting on a new 228 that I ordered and working on setting up the electronics. I'm leaning towards the 943xs and a second 943 to split the radar and GPS/sonar. Am I reading correctly that the CL7 that comes with the boat can actually show the radar or GPS when linked together?

Yes, that CL7 is a full on Garmin, if your electronics guys do the networking, it can be a chart plotter, radar, fish finder. And the cool thing is that somehow the garmins ALL know that they are networked to the engine and you get the most important engine stuff down the starboard side of the display. On all of them. In my experience, the only time I use my 942 is when I'm running the kicker and that's because I can see it from the back of the boat.

Congrats on your 228, if you are in cold weather, it's the perfect boat - unless you can afford bigger, Grady has made me a size queen :)

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, that CL7 is a full on Garmin, if your electronics guys do the networking, it can be a chart plotter, radar, fish finder. And the cool thing is that somehow the garmins ALL know that they are networked to the engine and you get the most important engine stuff down the starboard side of the display. On all of them. In my experience, the only time I use my 942 is when I'm running the kicker and that's because I can see it from the back of the boat.

Congrats on your 228, if you are in cold weather, it's the perfect boat - unless you can afford bigger, Grady has made me a size queen :)
Thanks for the info. I am in South Jersey and use my 96 208 Into the late fall for striper fishing. This is my second one of these and looking for a bit larger. A friend had an older seafarer back in the day and have been in the canyons with it for tuna. Young and dumb but that's another story. The 22 is the biggest I can put in my slip and I love my spot... Looking at the 943xs. Contiplating removing the black plexi door and doing flush mounts. Would be great if I can get them to leave it off for the build

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
The Fell MOB shuts things off for 6 seconds. After that the engine can be restarted.

And so far as I know, my steering is hydraulic (Seasteer) but I don't think it is power assist (if it is, it's broken because boat takes some effort to steer). I've got a 2020 228.

Your advice on crew is welcome. I usually fish with my younger son and I need to take him out and get him to drive, he's been reluctant to do so but I'll get past that. I have both a throw ring and a throw bag on the boat (though usually in the cuddy cabin, I need to figure out a home for them where they are easily grabbed. The throw bag is easy, I hang on one of the rod holders on the hard top. The throw ring tends to get in the way. Maybe try and hang it off the back of a chair. If anyone has a setup they like, please share.
Life ring holder for SS rail
Amarine Made Stainless Steel... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CPS2YN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the info. I am in South Jersey and use my 96 208 Into the late fall for striper fishing. This is my second one of these and looking for a bit larger. A friend had an older seafarer back in the day and have been in the canyons with it for tuna. Young and dumb but that's another story. The 22 is the biggest I can put in my slip and I love my spot... Looking at the 943xs. Contiplating removing the black plexi door and doing flush mounts. Would be great if I can get them to leave it off for the build

I did flush mount and like it. Pics here: http://mcvoy.com/lm/boat

The numbers move around as I add pictures but you want this one: http://mcvoy.com/lm/boat/42.html

Last edited: